Primer question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brentar

Reaction score
Hey everyone-

So, I have a 14' 1983 Blue Fin tin boat. Took out the floor as it was rotting, and I didn't like the layout. Now that it's out, I have sanded some areas on the inside of the boat to bare aluminum, but just used 220 grit over the rest of the inside. Paint wasnt really chipping, just showing its age. Now my goal was to get Herculiner in the front and sides on the inside and that's it.

What is the best way to prep for this? On Herculiners website, they say use a primer that is compatible with polyurethane.

I was thinking about using self etching primer lightly, twice where down to bare aluminum and then going over the entire area with more self etching primer. Will this work?

I could be talked out of the Herculiner, for the record ;)

Hopefully will add my boat to the project section soon as I have a bunch of new aluminum, fuse panels, rod holders, pedestal seats, marine plywood all waiting to go, just want to start with the inside paint first.

Luckily, my neighbors have a sprayer AND they are painters, so they offered to help with that! Big help. Problem is they don't know the proper prep work as they don't typically do aluminum.

Thanks in advance.

Do a search on Herculiner here on the site(upper right corner). If I remember correctly, folks havnt had good results with it.

yeah, I've seen plenty of folks have awful luck with Herculiner and a few that said it has held up. So if I dont do herculiner, what is the best way to cover up the larger bare aluminum spots with primer and get the sanded spots with primer?

Captain Ahab said:
Welcome to the site

Add your location to your profile please
+1

AND I WOULDNT GO WITH HERCULINER, IF YOU GOT THE CASH TO SPEND GO WITH THE TUFFCOAT FROM CABELAS, OR GO FACTORY DIRECT ON IT, THEY MAKE A PRIMER FOR IT AND IM REALY HAPPY WITH MINE

There was a guy just recently that had the interior of his boat sprayed with Line X and it looks incredible!! I think he said it cost like 400+ though.

BassBlaster said:
There was a guy just recently that had the interior of his boat sprayed with Line X and it looks incredible!! I think he said it cost like 400+ though.

I WAS GONNA DO MINE WITH LINE X BUT I COULD JUSTIFY THE MONEY, LOOKS GREAT, THE TUFF COAT WAS CHEAPER AND I GOT ABLOUT THE SAME RESULTS YOU WOULD FROM LINE X

Maybe not as strong, but I just painted the inside of my aluminum hull with Rustoleum primer and paint. It's pretty strong and the nicks and gouges are easily repainted. Best of all, it's darn cheap. The outside was painted with Interlux. It wasn't cheap.