A few questions on decking...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkuster

Reaction score
I'm planning on installing a carpeted wooden floor over aluminum framing in my 14' deep V.

What is the best way to attach the carpeted wood to the frame structure? Sheet metal
screws through the wood and into the aluminum? Or SS bolts with nuts and lock washers?

Also, is there a way to hide the screw/bolt heads? When I look at the pics of the project
boats people here have done I don't see any. So there must be some way to hide them
for cleaner looking installation?

Thanks for the help,

Dan

I used SS oval head machine screws with finishing washers - skip the lock washers and use a flat washer and a lock nut

Thanks for the help!

But, how do you manage to use nuts and washers on a one-piece floor? Maybe I'm thinking about it the wrong way, but once you lay it in place over the aluminum frame how do you get your hand behind it in order to hold the nut while tightening the screw?

(Sorry if this is a stupid question... :oops: )

Captain Ahab said:
I used SS oval head machine screws with finishing washers - skip the lock washers and use a flat washer and a lock nut

I drilled and tapped the ribs, then used panhead stainless machine screws. If you go carpet, fit and mount your wood first, then pull it out to carpet. Use a soldering iron to melt where the screw mounting holes are and put it back together. The fuz on the carpet will stand up and hide most of the screw head.

On my 1448, the PO just ran steel drywall screws in when he had a wood floor in. Surprisingly it held up for around ten years with only about half the screws rusting in half. They self drilled and tapped too.

Jamie

Latest posts