aluminum protection

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill11

Reaction score
i plan on stripping a aluminum boat but won't paint it for quite a while. what should i do to keep oxidation from forming on bare aluminum? thanks bill11

Search the forum for "sharkhide"

If you go this route, don't forget to post pics and let us know how the product worked out for you.

Dont wanna hijack the OP's thread but I have a question along the same lines. I blasted my boat a year ago and will be painting it in the next couple weeks. Whats the best way to remove the oxidation prior to painting?

Easiest thing .... don't strip the boat until you are ready to paint. Why worry about protecting the bare aluminum if you don't have to?

If its already stripped and you can't paint for a while, best thing is to keep it inside where its dry. Wipe it down with some mineral spirits every week and you should be fine.

If its going to be outside .... just leave it alone and do a final sanding right before you paint.

A halfway adequate paint, sealer or weld job will entail removing any scale and oxidation immediately preceding the job. Not the week before, but right before the job is done. Whether or not you strip the boat 6 months in advance doesn't really mean much, as to do the paint job correctly, you'll need to do it again.

Latest posts