Sandy bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S10ssguy

Reaction score
So I went to clean the inside of the boat to get it ready for paint. And found that the sand is attached to the bottom (for texture). Some spots it's missing or worn down. What I want to know is how can I duplicate this cheap way of "rhino lining" the bottom?

You can buy paint at hardware stores with it already in the paint, but only a few colors. You can also buy a small bag of the the sand like nonskid material and mix it in the paint you want to use.

Buy the matching color paint and use where needed, sprinkle the sand (as you would salt) on the areas of wet paint so that it stays put. After paint dries, put another coat on top of sand. Repeat as needed.

Man I'm going through the same thing trying to find the best and cheapest way to do my floor and decks. I have been back and forth with Hydroturf, StyxRiver Mats, LineX, Tuff Coat. Last night I almost ordered the StyxRiver mats! Then I talked to somone who told me that they are really heavy and the carpet was coming off the neoprene backing after a year!

I think I am going to use the Herculiner in white (it comes in white, red, and black). It is a Do it yourself Polyurethane Rubberized non-skid just like the Tuff Coat from Cabelas or Overtons.

But unlike the Tuff Coat which requires a primer and a hardener, Herculiner is a one step process. You just clean and prep the surface then apply 2 coats. If you want to paint it, you let it dry for 2-4 hours and use a polyurethane paint within 24 hours and it will bond to the Herculiner and become part of the curing process (I got that off a jeep forum a guy posted a reply from herculiner and thats what Herculiner told him to do).

Its cheap and you can get it at most Autoparts stores and wal-mart.

reedjj said:
Man I'm going through the same thing trying to find the best and cheapest way to do my floor and decks. I have been back and forth with Hydroturf, StyxRiver Mats, LineX, Tuff Coat. Last night I almost ordered the StyxRiver mats! Then I talked to somone who told me that they are really heavy and the carpet was coming off the neoprene backing after a year!

I think I am going to use the Herculiner in white (it comes in white, red, and black). It is a Do it yourself Polyurethane Rubberized non-skid just like the Tuff Coat from Cabelas or Overtons.

But unlike the Tuff Coat which requires a primer and a hardener, Herculiner is a one step process. You just clean and prep the surface then apply 2 coats. If you want to paint it, you let it dry for 2-4 hours and use a polyurethane paint within 24 hours and it will bond to the Herculiner and become part of the curing process (I got that off a jeep forum a guy posted a reply from herculiner and thats what Herculiner told him to do).

I WOULDNT RECOMEND HERCULINER AT ALL, I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT BAD LUCK WITH IT, I SWITCHED TO TUFF COAT WITH NO PROBLEMS

If you fish barefoot, (I do not) the heavy grit sand may play a toll on your feet. You can get different "grits" of sand to add to paint. Get one that isn't going to be too much and feel like sandpaper. Also, the more coats of paint you apply after the sand will help reduce the "edge" of the grit (if that makes sense).

BOB350RX said:
reedjj said:

I WOULDNT RECOMEND HERCULINER AT ALL, I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT BAD LUCK WITH IT, I SWITCHED TO TUFF COAT WITH NO PROBLEMS

Dang, Now I'm lost again.

The Tuff Coat looks good too.

Brine used it on his here on page 17 of the thread there is some good pics......https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6551&p=192826&hilit=brine+craft#p192826

Was it easy to apply?

Alot of great input. Thank y'all. I'll probably go for the paint and sand method. The sand additive doesn't seem gritty enough to be honest, but that's just feeling it through the bag too. Would play sand be effective?

Would play sand be effective?

The play sand that I'm familiar with has a very large grain compared to other sand. If that's what you're looking for..then it will work. It would be too large for me though (I think)

I used the textured paint for plastic outdoor furniture on my gunnel caps and it's holding up well. It has a decent texture to grip to and reduces glare.

Jamie

I used Grizzly grip with the small grit on my floors and bench tops. Barefoot is no problem.
https://www.grizzlygrip.com/

I just clicked on order now and it came up with about 20 different products.... hardener, solvent, thinner, UV protectant, primer. Sounds complicated. What do did you use to put it on. If all I need is the primer and the product Im cool. If I have to buy several different chemicals and conduct a Chemistry experiment Im out....

reedjj said:
The Tuff Coat looks good too.

Brine used it on his here on page 17 of the thread there is some good pics......https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6551&p=192826&hilit=brine+craft#p192826

Was it easy to apply?
I USED AN UNDERCOATING GUN AND ITS A BREEZE BUT YOU CAN ROLL IT ON ALSO

I bought the kit that included everything. I did mine in dolphin gray. It was around $117.00 or so with shipping.
https://www.grizzlygrip.com/4_X_6_Aliphatic_Kit_Color-details.aspx

Im in the middle of applying Tuff coat to my boat. As Im typing the primer is drying. I will say this about my experience so far.

IF hydroTurf or Line X is on your wish list and you are doing Tuff Coat to save money because you think its cheaper.......... THINK AGAIN. I am in for more than I would have spent to have my boat lineX'd professionally or what it would have cost to cover the areas that I am doing with HydroTurf or StyxRiver mats. Not to mention I have had about 4 separate bouts with heat exhaustion today and I still havn't put any Tuff coat down.

If you have all the rollers, sprayers, masking tape, mineral spirits, drop cloths, brushes, applicators, Sand paper, etc you might save a dollar or two. Buy the time bought all the stuff I needed to do this job the right way I could have had it done in lineX and been a lot happier today!