Trolling motor or v bottom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S10ssguy

Reaction score
Do they make special bow mounts for a trolling motor on a v bottom? Has anyone made a false floor for a trolling motor to mount to? I want one on mine but all the ones I'm finding bolt to a floor on a bass boat. Any help?

Not real sure what you're asking, but this is my trolling motor mounted on my V bottom. I made a small deck for the motor to mount to.

IMG_1636.jpg

I'm kinda in the same predicament as the OP; v-hull, would like a bow-mount TM, don't see how to make it work cleanly...

I have two tentative plans for this area. First (and where the bow-mount TM becomes a problem), is that I'd like to build a plywood base that fit's on top of the seat, then upholster it such that there would be a padded bow seat. Second, I'd like to put a small (lockable?) hatch in this area...not sure how much floatation foam is under that seat, or if putting in a small hatch would be worth the trouble, but it seems like a nice small space for a few essentials that could always stay in the boat (ropes-n-such), or an area for a separate, small, auxiliary 12V battery for the nav lights.

Anyway, just like the OP I'm open to modification suggestions.

img_7964.jpg

azekologi said:
I'm kinda in the same predicament as the OP; v-hull, would like a bow-mount TM, don't see how to make it work cleanly...

I have two tentative plans for this area. First (and where the bow-mount TM becomes a problem), is that I'd like to build a plywood base that fit's on top of the seat, then upholster it such that there would be a padded bow seat. Second, I'd like to put a small (lockable?) hatch in this area...not sure how much floatation foam is under that seat, or if putting in a small hatch would be worth the trouble, but it seems like a nice small space for a few essentials that could always stay in the boat (ropes-n-such), or an area for a separate, small, auxiliary 12V battery for the nav lights.

Anyway, just like the OP I'm open to modification suggestions.

img_7964.jpg
Exactly what I'm thinking of doing. Just need to figure out a good way to put some kind of framing around the bow for the decking I guess

Get a piece of flat aluminum .... cut to fit so it sits right on top of the front .... drill four holes through the gunwale and attach it with some stainless steel bolts. Paint.

MrSimon said:
Get a piece of flat aluminum .... cut to fit so it sits right on top of the front .... drill four holes through the gunwale and attach it with some stainless steel bolts. Paint.

Yep, that's the simplest way. I lowered mine to prevent things from sliding/rolling off. See page 2 of my build for details. I used aluminum, but some carpeted 1/2" plywood would be nice also.

benjineer said:
MrSimon said:

Yep, that's the simplest way. I lowered mine to prevent things from sliding/rolling off. See page 2 of my build for details. I used aluminum, but some carpeted 1/2" plywood would be nice also.

I checked out your build... Very nice, how well does the tm travel on the trailer? Any bouncing? I really like this and think I'm going to take mine off and replace it with a flat sheet.

This is how i did my front deck on a 1960 sea king this is made from 3/4 plywood. It gave me place to put switches and batt meter. No bounce solid as a rock hope this helps.SIMO

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 1,201
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,201

Latest posts