Need some help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silver yote sniper

Reaction score
Hello i am new here with several questions. My dad had a boat when i was young and i now am thinking of buying one. I am thinking a flat bottom jon boat will do. I will need it to carry four people. The lakes i will be using are trolling motor only okay which boat and stuff should i look at? would like a gas motor incase i go to lakes that allow them. The boat does not have to have a console and am fine with controling steeriing at motor. need help on what i need to get me started. Thanks in advance for the help. :roll:

If you need room for 4, battery(s) for the trolling motor, and gear, try to figure out how much weight
you will be putting in this boat and work from there. Most boats have a capacity decal that will tell you if
the boat will work or not. Craigs List is a great place to start your search. I try to search it every day.
Good luck! Jerry

If you go flat bottom...which is what I prefer... nothing less than a 1648 for 4 people, batteries, gear, etc. That still may get crowded.

if you're gonna have 4 people ,sometimes 18x50 ain't big enuf . if ya got kids with rods and sharp HOOKS around people in a small boat .... did ya know hooks go into human skin remarkably easy .... in a small boat use barbles hooks ! :)

thanks guys i am new to boating. What trolling motor and gasoline motor and other stuff do i need to get? fill me in my lakes i will mostly use it in is no gas engines but i would like to have one for the bigger lakes. i want it to just fish with my family and maybe get into jugging for catfish. only thing i will have in boat is a cooler, tackle box, and poles. Also will i need to wire it with electric to fish at night? what batteries will i need to power trolling motor and lights with? I have been looking at the 16 ft alumcraft jon boats but need to get some input. thanks in advance.

My suggestion is read up a lot of the threads on this forum, educate yourself since alot of your questions have been answered ad nauseum.

Four folks, what type fishing, cats, crappy or?

Bigger the boat, more power needed to move it, more expensive to deal with etc.

Again, read up and try to answer some of your own questions before you ask them.

The sky is the limit with these boats so make a list of what you must have the boat do and a list of what you would like the boat to do.

Jamie

MOST OF YOUR QUESTIONS ARE IN NEED OF MORE INFO TO ANSWER, WHAT TYPE OF FISHING ARE YOU GONNA DO? TALKIN ABOUT A ELECTRIC ONLY LAKE AND PUSHING A 16 FOOT PLUS BOAT GONNA NEED SOME SERIOUS TROLLING MOTOR, HOOK US UP WITH A LIL MORE INFO, THIS IS A GREAT SITE AND THE GUYS ON HERE ARE ALL MORE THAN WILLING TO HELP, ANY YOU GONNA HAVE KIDS ON THE BOAT(FISHING I MEAN, NOONE GONNA GIVE BIRTH OUT THERE... :LOL2: ), MOST OF THE TIME? PART OF THE TIME? THERE ARE ALOT OF FACTORS IN CHOOSING THE RIGHT BOAT, WHAT I HAVE LEARNED OVER THE YEARS IS THAT YOULL NEVER OWN THE 1ST BOAT YOU HAVE FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE YOULL ALWAYS FIND SOMETHING BIGGER ,BETTER, OR SOMETHING THAT SUITS YOUR FISHING STYLE BETTER, WE ARE ALL ON THIS SAME QUEST, ITS SOMETIMES A TOTAL PAIN, GOOD LUCK :D

Here ya go - electric only as well!

duffy-cat-16-electric-pontoon-boat.jpg