livewell help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hsiftac

Reaction score
Alright so I got Basshound 10.2 from a friend for just about free, though it needed a bit of help as the thru-hull drain was leaking and missing a plug, livewell hatch was broken and missing, and nav lights and TM plugs were not in working order (not to mention the boat was extremely dirty). Most of that stuff is fixed or in the process of being fixed but I am running into some problems with the livewell. I've never had a boat with a livewell like this and I'm looking for some help.
Here's a few pictures of the livewell.
009.JPG
010.JPG
011.JPG
012.JPG
Right now I am in the process of removing the old thru-hull fitting and replacing it with the one in the last picture since the extension was broken off of the original one. What I don't quite understand is how the water goes in and out. Am I correct that the water will fill to the waterline of the boat(or however deep it sits in the water)? Then if an extension is added to the through hull fitting that extends it higher up then water will drain out if it pours into the extension? If so then how does new water get added and how do I get it to fill above the existing thru-hull fitting?
If anyone has an diagrams or any help on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Also the only fitting in the livewell is the one shown in the picture, there are no other holes in the livewell. And I plan on adding a recirculating pump with a spray bar once I get everything figured out(if a spray bar is even needed).
thanks, cole

Yes your in the right page. You will need the overflow to maintain water level. However that style needs needs the pump and spray bar your talking about to fill it up.

If you are simply installing a recirculating pump and spray bar you don't need an overflow in the tank and no other holes are required. You only need an overflow if you plan to continually pump fresh water in through the existing thru hull fitting.

My tank is similar to yours - i.e., it has one hole in the bottom for draining the water out of the tank. I use one of these pumps to aerate my tank - https://www.cabelas.com/product/Marine-Metal-Products-Fish-Saver/703041.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dfish%2Bsaver%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=fish+saver&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

I fill my tank up at home ion the morning using the garden hose and add some water treatment to neutralize the chlorine etc. The tank stays aerated with the pump. No other fittings required.

Latest posts