preasure treated wood question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfish1360

Reaction score
If I use pressure treated wood in a basstracker boat for the deck, can i seal it with fiberglass resin to keep the pt wood and aluminum from pitting

You can do whatever you want, however I doubt any sound thinking fellow on this forum will advise it.

PT wood is loaded with moisture by the nature of pressure treating. That moisture will work it's way out of the wood through cracks and imperfections in the fiberglass. The chemicals will eat your hull.

Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
You can do whatever you want, however I doubt any sound thinking fellow on this forum will advise it.

PT wood is loaded with moisture by the nature of pressure treating. That moisture will work it's way out of the wood through cracks and imperfections in the fiberglass. The chemicals will eat your hull.

Jamie
AGREED!!! it has copper and other bad stuff that dont like aluminum. use regular wood and put spar urethane on it and it will probally outlast the boat............NEVER USE PRESSURE TREATED WOOD!!!!! just my two cents...

agreed too, you will also drill holes through the wood when you fasten it and when it gets soakin' wet, out comes all the bad stuff right where the supports are! Don't use it, go by a good A/C or B/C exterior grade plywood and seal with marine spar varnish, even after you drill your screw holes for your fasteners, go back and seal the screw holes too or water will be trapped inside the wood and cannot escape and the wood will mildew and then start to rot from the inside/out. The MOST important and overlooked place to seal are the cut plywood edges and the screw holes, most people are in too big of a hurry to go back and seal the screw holes. I even go back after I install my fasteners and seal over the screw heads or rivets to MAKE SURE I am totally sealed up, that is the object here! My edges on the plywood get MORE coats of sealer than the front and back do, even though I seal the wood to where you can no longer see ANY pores or grain in the wood. What you want to do when sealing is make it look like a sealed hardwood floor in your living room. It takes a good number of coats to do properly and several days of drying time. Take the time to do it right so your time will not be wasted.

If you could have seen the severly pitted skin on my transom (swiss cheese) you wouldn't even consider letting a piece of PT get within 10 feet of your boat.

Contrary to popular belief, you can use PT plywood on an aluminum boat.

... BUT, it has to be the kiln dried CCA formula plywood and it is expensive... about $65 a sheet.

My Tracker Pro Deep V came from the factory with this plywood installed for the decking and transom.

You can order it here:

https://www.pontoonstuff.com/pontoon-boat/144-marine-plywood.asp