easy, free, one-man rivet rebucking

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acabtp

Reaction score
I had a few loose rivets on the floor of my 14' starcraft. When I was out on the water yesterday, I used a red crayon to circle the leaky ones (works while wet). Today, I pulled the boat off of the trailer and laid it on the driveway. Then, I put an old brake rotor under the boat and lined it up with each of the rivets that needed rebucking, gave them a quick couple taps from the interior with a hammer, and now they are tight as a drum. Took me all of 5 minutes.

Only thing to be careful is to make sure that you are holding things down firmly against the anvil (brake rotor in my case)... each hammer strike will be a quiet, high pitched "tink"... if there is a big aluminum boom you are doing it wrong.

Nice job! Fixing it right the first time isn't that hard is it. I cringe every time someone ask how to fix a leaky rivet and they get answers like, use a patch, or use epoxy, or just use some 5200 around it.

Latest posts