What kind of roller do I use with "tuff Coat"??

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reedjj

Reaction score
I got my Tuff Coat at the house today. It came with the primer and the Tuff Coat and thats all. It was supposed to come with the roller applicator.....

What kind of roller do I need to use to apply this stuff. I would think a foam roller would be Ok but I just want to be sure.

Same goes for the primer?

If any of you that have used this before could help me out I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

Google it... seems an open cell textured roller is what I am finding at Cabella's & Overtons as well as others. Google it and have a look at the pics and you'll get an idea then head to Lowes & take pics !

73215_L1

I used a similar product called Duraliner to do my Blazer bed. I purchased a kit at Walmart and it came with a textured roller similar to the one pictured above. Check Walmart for a textured roller. They are usually in the automotive section w/ the DIY bedliner. I used the same roller for the whole bed. If you use foam, it may pull apart as the material starts to cure. It is some very sticky stuff. If you have to use foam, get a bunch of them. Also, the voids in the textured roller helps make a more textured finish. Hope this helps some. -Eric

Thanks guys,

I got 2 textured rollers from HD. one big one for the decks and 1 four inch for the gunwales and rear triangles. I also picked up a foam roller to apply the primer, 2 pair rubber gloves , a paint pan, and 2 pan liners (one for the primer and one for the tuff coat), plus spray bottle of degreaser, 1/2 gallon of mineral spirits, 1 pack of lint free rags and some 60 grit sanpaper (it says to use 40 but 60 is as rough as they had).

I thought I was going to get off cheap on this job. I went back and forth on whether to use hydroTurf, tuff coat, herculiner, StyxRiver mats....... I spend $75.00 on the above Items...Combine that with the $120.00 for the tuff coat and I could have covered both the front and rear decks in hydroturf or just done the floor with them....

I have decided I am just going to do the front and rear decks and the gunwales with the tuff coat. I am going to do the floor in SyxRiver Mat (Mossy Oak Breakup)...