Painting the inside of my boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S10ssguy

Reaction score
I'm going to be painting the inside of my aluminum boat. I've filled it (to about the water line) with water and verified no obvious leaks, so now I'm ready to paint. A buddy of mine said just go to home depot and get an exterior latex. Will this be sufficient? I'm on a bit of a budget cause I have the wife and three kids. Also, what would be a good color choice? I'm afraid white will reflect the sun to much and black would get way to hot on the feet, so I'm thinking blue or grey? Any ideas?

i used rattle can rustoleum primer then camo paint. i used a light green doesnt get hot and not reflective.

Rustolmem pro grade from home depo or lows is great stuff. Cheap, easy to get and holds well. Just make sure to use self etching primer if you take it down to bare metal or even on spots where the old paint rubbed off.

fireshadow said:
Rustolmem pro grade from home depo or lows is great stuff. Cheap, easy to get and holds well. Just make sure to use self etching primer if you take it down to bare metal or even on spots where the old paint rubbed off.

Would there be a problem in putting self etching primer over everything (bare aluminum and also old paint)?

i have never had a problem with overlap. just don't bother trying to coat completely over the old paint. I would just focus the self etching over the bare allum so the topcoat has something to grab a hold of. the new paint will grab fine to the old paint.

Good to know. Thanks!

fireshadow said:
i have never had a problem with overlap. just don't bother trying to coat completely over the old paint. I would just focus the self etching over the bare allum so the topcoat has something to grab a hold of. the new paint will grab fine to the old paint.

I did mine in Rustoleum Camo Tan. From the rattle can!

I took it to the car wash and hosed it down with the tire/engine cleaner which smells and looks alot like simple green. then rinsed it real good. Let it dry for a few hours in the FL sun and then put 3 coats on. It took 5 cans to do what I did.

You can see pics of it here https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=20508