Weight distribution

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lariscy

Reaction score
Talk to me about weight distribution, I am completely remodeling an '84 TX17 tracker and am plotting on engine choices right now. My concerns are weight vs hp. Its rated for a 80hp max but an 80hp weighs in at 300lbs I am planning on having around a 20 gallon bait tank which weighs in at another 300lbs so right off the rip I have 600lbs in the back of the boat. Now add 12gallons of fuel and batterys and you have a butt load of weight in the rear of the boat. I am not willing to give up my bait tank and the batterys and fuel are necessary so the only option I have is to reduce the weight of the motor but... will I be happy with a motor smaller than a 70 or 80 hp? In order to get any reasonable weight reduction I would have to drop back to at least a 50 hp how well will a 50 push a 17 foot tracker fully loaded? I realize with alittle work I could easily move my batterys and fuel to the front but the fuel not a constant weight and the batterys are miniscule in comparison to the motor and bait tank.

In case you can't tell I am confused and need some guidance from some more experienced guys on how to balance this boat out or am I just overly worried?

A picture of your proposed layout would make life simpler...

To me, move the fuel by midhull (under drivers seat?) and batteries up under the front deck. You want it to draft level when you are in your fishing position.

Jamie