316 stainless or aluminum hardware question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bill11

Reaction score
I have read that unlike metals need a barrier between them to prevent corosion. Aluminum hardware is most likely a different alloy then the boat. That being the case is one metal any more desireable ( aluminum vs stainless) or is it always better to use any aluminum whenever possible? ----- thanks bill11

Simple answer is always use stainless hardware. I dont know the science of it but theres not enough of it going into the build to worry about corrsion issues. Use the search feature (upper right) and you can finds tons of info on stainless hardware.

Aluminum would be better from a dissimilar metals standpoint, but stainless hardware is adequate. Now, in the SS/aluminum pair, the stainless is the cathode, and the aluminum the anode, meaning the more noble stainless will corrode the aluminum. However, given the quantities in question (a whole boat worth of aluminum vs. a small SS bolt), the effect is going to be very minimal. Were the situation reversed, say an aluminum bolt in a stainless steel hull, the results would be different, and the bolt wouldn't last very long.

Are there any strength benefits between stainless over aluminum?

Our local Home Depot carried Aluminum bolts, so I went ahead and used those and some 5200 to install handles on the front of my Gamefisher. But I went with SS for the transom.

steel is stronger than aluminum but depending on the application and thickness of your bolts it could be more than adaquate

Latest posts