Has anyone used composite decking for flooring?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigchromedog

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used it for flooring in their boat? Is it lighter than plywood? Obviously you skip the step of sealing and probably carpeting using it. Anyone have any experience? Thanks in advance.

bigchromedog said:
Has anyone ever used it for flooring in their boat? Is it lighter than plywood? Obviously you skip the step of sealing and probably carpeting using it. Anyone have any experience? Thanks in advance.

That stuff is pretty dense, I would think it would be heavier, also, if you were to carpet it, there would be seams I would think where the carpet would settle. If you didnt carpet it, I think it would be pretty slick when wet and could also get pretty hot in direct sun

Ahh ok. So then just exterior plywood it is. Anyone have any insight on what lumber is the best for framing? Or should I say strongest and lightest.

Thanks again!

bigchromedog said:
Ahh ok. So then just exterior plywood it is. Anyone have any insight on what lumber is the best for framing? Or should I say strongest and lightest.

Thanks again!

Being cheap :roll: I just used whatever scraps I had around, mostly 2 x 4 and 2 x 3. I even used the cheapest 1/2" (.471 inches) plywood above the frame work. I then painted with non slip porch paint. I figured if that paint was meant to be walked on in the elements, it was good enough for the floors (and it is cheaper).

bigchromedog said:
Did you coat the framework with anything?

If you mean the 2 x4s and the 2 x 3s, yes, just ordinary outdoor gloss latex enamel. Again, it was left over paint from a house project. So far so good. Even if it needs replacement, the frame work and floors just lift right out of the boat.

bigchromedog said:
Anyone have any insight on what lumber is the best for framing? Or should I say strongest and lightest.

Aluminum.

It's more expensive than scrap wood but much lighter and will last forever.

Check with local scrap yards or recycling centers for large pieces that you can get for scrap price.

spotco2 said:
Aluminum.

Check with local scrap yards or recycling centers for large pieces that you can get for scrap price.

While I agree that aluminum will last longer and is lighter, the reason I used wood was that it is sturdy enough to support the plywood flooring and won't gouge the aluminum hull by just sitting on it.

nomowork said:
spotco2 said:
Aluminum.

While I agree that aluminum will last longer and is lighter, the reason I used wood was that it is sturdy enough to support the plywood flooring and won't gouge the aluminum hull by just sitting on it.
if you secure it right it wont move therefore will not gouge anything. i dont think ive ever seen anybody just lay a sheet down and call it good. did you not secure the floor to the supports?

shawnfish said:
nomowork said:
spotco2 said:
Aluminum.

if you secure it right it wont move therefore will not gouge anything. i dont think ive ever seen anybody just lay a sheet down and call it good. did you not secure the floor to the supports?

The floor support for the middle section lays flat using the grooves of the hull. It doesn't slip or slide and the plywood floor stays in place being flush against the front and middle benches. The plywood floor for the rear of the boat just sits on the actual hull groves as this section is much flatter than the middle section of the hull. I purposely made it this way to facilitate easier and fast removal of floors if needed.

Attachments

• new to me boat 005.JPG
    new to me boat 005.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 816

Latest posts