Your opinion is........

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtDewMadMan

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm considering a new jon boat but can't seem to make up my mind.
Looking at the Tracker 1754 and the Tracker 1860.
Would the extra 1'4" length and 6" width really be worth the extra $500?
Any opinion on the subject will be appreciated.
Thanks

That depends on the water you are fishing. If you are squeezing through tiny shoots, and avoiding rocks like it your job (like you are using this in the susky) the smaller boat will be more practical. It also depends on where/how you are launching this thing (do you have to push it off the trailer, but I don't really see pushing either on of these sized crafts very well)

One the other hand, I would think, even at a foot longer, a 60inch bottom will draft in less water, if the boats are made the same (decking, hull weigh etc).

Honestly, a boat ALWAYS seems smaller once you get it on the water.

Also, what are you powering these hulls with same motor? or do they come with a different motor each?

IF you aren't using this in a super rocky environment, I would probably opt for the larger boat...

If you give some more information about where ya fish, motor size, etc etc etc, maybe I could supply some more insight from my point of view.

GO BIG!!! WILL COST ALOT MORE THAN 500 BUCKS TO GAIN THAT 1'4", IF YOU FEEL ITS TOO SMALL :LOL2:

18/60, Mine is a 17/52 and when I get my rods and tackle boxes in it I run out of room to walk around and always missing a step and stepping on a rod. Haven't broke one yet but I always think about it. Be sure to get enough motor on the 18/60!!!!

Attachments

• P2200026.JPG
    P2200026.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 850
I agree with everyone else, get the bigger one. You won't regret it. And you won't ever find yourself saying that you have too much room.

Like "korywithak" said, it depends on where you are fishing...

If you are close to Bull Shoals, Table Rock or Lake Norfolk, then the larger 1860 may be welcomed. If however, you are launching at some bar-pits off the Mississippi River that may be less than ten feet deep and only 7 acres with lots of brush to maneuver around, then the smaller 1754 may be desirable.

I was considering the same question before I bought my 1754. Other variables that I considered were... I did not want a steering console. I only wanted to use a tiller motor. I did not want to go over a 20 horse power motor. I later decided that I did not want to use a 24 volt trolling motor. I opted for a 55-lb. thrust 12 volt trolling motor.

I had a 15 foot jon boat years before and it was plenty big for what I was using it for and the lakes I was fishing at the time. Now I'm in a different location and fishing larger lakes. I was considering a 1648 and originally thought that the 1754 was way too large for what I wanted... I'm super glad that I chose the larger 1754. Like was said earlier, the boat doesn't seem as large when you are on the lake. The 1754 did not seem that large when I was on a large body of water. I still think that the 1860 would have been too big for my wants/needs considering I didn't want remote steering and desired a smaller motor. I did have an option to get my father's large bass boat loaded with all the works at a fraction of what I paid for my “bare bones rig” without a motor. I'm satisfied with my choice.

Details do make a difference! Good luck on your decision. Let us know what you decide.

Thanks for all your replies and opinions.
Depending on finances it may be the 1754.
The cost for 1754 is $2,999 + $100 freight fee
where the 1860 is $3,249 + $500 freight fee.
I'm going to see if I can pick one up cheaper if I go to
the Tracker plant and pick it up there. If I can avoid the
$500 fee I may go with the 1860. Lol I guess I just have trouble
understanding how only 1'4" longer and 6" wider costs $400
more than a 17' to put on a semi trailer.

Latest posts