Float pod question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caver101

Reaction score
I have an 1860 Alumacraft that I want to add float pods too. Problem is on the transom there are some bolt heads sticking out that would prevent a smooth matting surface with a set of Boyds Welding float pods. What is the solution?

I want them welded on for more strength, but those bolts are going to be a issue.

edit: photos
690c0402.jpg

b215d9df.jpg

4e3d49b3.jpg

They look custom. Can you get them with a bolting rail top and bottom and have the body of the tank set back to clear the bolt heads?

sam

I am not taking a BFH to a brand new float pod! :lol:

Bolts can not be removed.

I was thinking of having Boyd bend the welding edges over at a 45deg angle then weld them on to the transom, but then I will never have access to the bolt heads if I need to service/replace the transom.....

Have the pods made with an access cover in the top. Pull the bolts apply 5200 around bolt holes have the pods welded on then drill thru the pod apply more 5200 to the inside of the pod replace the bolts and attch the top cover to the pod.

Im running the boyds pods. i just ground the heads down a little. my transom was kind of wavy anyways so they didnt fit perfect.

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Have the pods made with an access cover in the top. Pull the bolts apply 5200 around bolt holes have the pods welded on then drill thru the pod apply more 5200 to the inside of the pod replace the bolts and attch the top cover to the pod.

+1

lckstckn2smknbrls said:

This sounds like the best fix. I will contact Boyds and see what they will charge to build a set like that.

Thanks!

Latest posts