Introduction and Our First Boat Type Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lmsmith

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm new to the forum and wanted to introduce myself and ask a question or two. I'm from Oklahoma and our family is looking for our first boat. I almost bought a Crestliner Voyager the other day. I really like the late 50's style of Crestliner. I like the runabout style with the covered bow, but I'm not opposed to getting a boat that is open stern to bow. I thought I would give restoring/refurbishing one a shot.

Could you all possibly give me some suggestions on a boat make and model that may fit these ideas I have in mind below, if possible that it is (in order or importance):

1) My wife prefers a deep hull with low seating. She thinks the kids would be safer. If she's happy then this whole boat thing is going to g a lot easier. LOL
2) Seating for four to cruise with the wife and two kiddos.
3) I want to be able to use it to fish sometimes.
4) I'd like for it to steer via a steering wheel.

There's some other things running through my head, but I'll save those for a later conversation.

Great site. It's got to be the best I've seen for aluminum boats.

Located in Oklahoma. Fish mainly catfish. We also mix in a little crappie and bass sometimes, but would also do some panfish bobbing with the kids. We'd be pulling it with a F-150 or a Ford Flex.

seems like your family is excited about getting a boat.a project that takes longer than you thought or strands you time because of a unseen problem could end this quickly.

i would use searchtempest.com to check all your local craigslist for a boat.
i would steer clear of crysler/force outboards.

a northern style fishing boat sound like it could do what you want.
see if lund,smokercraft,g3,lowe make something that you like.

oh and :WELCOME:

Welcome to the site. For your needs I'd probably look for a decent cheap glass bowrider with a 4cyl IO drive. Comfortable, cruise nice with decent economy. You can fish out of them easily, the engine cover makes a great bait station.

I'd go that route or a deep V Lund or similiar. The curse of old boats is they were built much lighter and are not as tough as boats from the '80's and newer...

Jamie

I'm loving the Deep V lund boats. The Orlando Clipper looks like it could be a good fit. Smokercraft makes a few that look like they'd do the job.

I think my biggest problem now is patience waiting for on to come available in our area.

I just missed out on this Lund Deep V with 50 HP motor and other items. Boy, it looks like it'd been a good one.

3nd3o03l45Y25Q45R4b79fdeb4ea7261c13d6[1].jpg

Latest posts