painting/hardner

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larryg

Reaction score
i have seen numerous article on painting aluminum boats with rustoleum and adding a hardner.what kind of hardner is needed, since rustoleum doesnt have one.thank you

If you are going to use Rustoleum, be aware that Rustoleum can sometimes fade and "chalk" when exposed to prolong sunlight. I remember painting my winch bumper and rear bumper satin black to match, and a year later repainted them both because they faded to a dark gray.

I used some Tractor Supply trailer paint with the catalyst/hardener and haven't noticed any problems after 3 years.

I asked this question in another post but got no replies, so I'll try here:

From what I've read, the Valspar Enamel Hardener is _really_ nasty stuff. Most say not to use it when spray painting unless you have a face mask with external air supply.

But what about brushing/rolling? Is it safe to do with no special protection as long as it's done outside in the fresh air?

i used it in a sprayer and rolled it.didnt notice a diffrence.i did it outside so i couldnt smell the fumes.i did autobody and those paints n enamels are worse,in my opion.

larryg said:
i used it in a sprayer and rolled it.didnt notice a diffrence.i did it outside so i couldnt smell the fumes.i did autobody and those paints n enamels are worse,in my opion.

Thanks for the input, Larry!

I'm going to paint soon, but I've decided not to use the hardener. After reading up on it I've concluded that the chemicals it contains are just too dangerous to take the risk.

(Yeah, I'm a wuss... :mrgreen: )

Latest posts