Building storage...questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wcoastwhacker

Reaction score
I purchased a welded 14' alum boat for duck hunting (pics to come once I get on my computer) and am deciding how to add storage. I have dug out the foam in 2 locations in the stern of the boat, and 1 area in the front. From what I have gathered on this site, I need stainless hardware, and either marine grade ply or outdoor plywood with waterproof coating over it. I see everyone build their mods bu they always shoe the before and after pics... Not the detAils and the "how to's".

My question is...

Can anyone give me details on building storage into dug out foam. I believe the two rear storage areas are appx 21" L x 11" W x 9" deep.

I'm considering using plastic containers for the interior and using 2x4's around it for support/framing. Or should I use 2x4's and plywood for the interior sides? Again, pics to come later to further explain my horrible explanations.

Thanks!

Not sure what you want to store in these specific spots, but if you can cut the foam neatly, you shouldn't have to frame it up with 2X4's. A plastic container should suffice. If you've got a couple bucks and want it to look nice, you should check out some premade hatches. Tempress brand has some good ones, google it or look on eBay. Stainless hardware is a must, but unless you are made of money you can get around the marine ply by just using sealed exterior ply. "Helmsman Spar" urethane is pretty common, does a great job of protecting, and costs about $30-35 a gallon. And Wlecome to the site!

Thanks for the reply (to both topics). The foam is cut fairly clean for the storage in the stern so plastic storage bins might be a perfect option but the bow storage follows the shape of the bottom of the boat so it is angled down so I might need to build my own storage for that.

You might be able to get away with just putting a 2X2 along the lower edge and sitting the plastic box on top of it...

Latest posts