painting a stripe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron Lariscy

Reaction score
I want to paint a blue stripe down the side of my bass tracker to match the looks of a real flats boat. How should I prep and what paint do I need to use?

Why do flats boats have a blue stripe down the side?

To paint the stripe, tape off the area you want to paint, scuff it up with 100 grit, wipe it down with acetone, and paint. Lots of people like the Rustoleum Marine paint, you can buy it in the rattle can.

They all don't but some do some have a different color some are solid white, I like blue so I want to go that direction. I don't need to use some sort of primer before I put the paint on?

Aaron Lariscy said:
They all don't but some do some have a different color some are solid white, I like blue so I want to go that direction. I don't need to use some sort of primer before I put the paint on?

If your boat is already painted you won't need a primer, but if it isn't painted you'll need to apply the etching primer for aluminum... it comes in a spray can too.

Im definately going to need to prime then I am planning on using a spray gun to lay the color on but I will just use a spray bomb for the primer.

Im not sure how wide of a stripe you are looking to do, but have you considered a vinyl stripe?

Im thinking it would be easier, have sharper edges, and be less work than painting it on there.

And if you ever decided on something different, it could be removed (with a heat gun and goo-gone)

Just a thought....

I would roll it with a 4" cabinet roller before spraying it. You'll get more paint on the hull with less mess and it'll turn out well. I painted the cab of my truck with Rustoleum industrial blue and it flowed out smooth and shines nice. That's the same method you paint glass boat hulls. Dad did his 28' Chris Craft that was, royal blue and it's held up well with minimal care or prepwork.
Jamie

korywithak,
I really like the vinyl idea but I priced it and it's 124 dollars for a 6'' wide by 50' long roll which is alittle too expensive for me considering how cheap a quart of rustolem paint is...

Ranchero50
I may try that but I think spraying will be easier and look better, I have the boat tore all apart and to tape it off and spray it wouldn't be to bad.

Here is a picture of what I am attempting to do just to let yall get a mental image

images-2.jpg

That's actually a big spottail (redfish). It was caught in Charleston near the jetties. The boat was my buddy's Key West 1720. I'm working on a 17' aluminum MV and will be back out there on good days. You do any saltwater fishing?

cooter brown said:
That's actually a big spottail (redfish). It was caught in Charleston near the jetties. The boat was my buddy's Key West 1720. I'm working on a 17' aluminum MV and will be back out there on good days. You do any saltwater fishing?

That's my plan with this 17 foot bass tracker I am working on any pictures of yours I am trying to get all the ideas I can at this point.

Edit: Nevermind I found your post I have alot farthur to go then you, I have all my decks torn out and no motor. :roll:

Well, I got some pics, but it's all ripped up. It's a 1995 bass tracker TX 17. It started as a basket case. The previous owner had cut the front deck out to make a bow-fishing boat out of it. I have completely stripped it down and removed all the saturated foam and wood. I plan on an all aluminum build and using Kiwi Grip on the decks so I can wash the salt out easily. It's completely gutted right now.

Starting point:
BT_6.jpg

All gutted out:
IMG-20110803-00046.jpg

IMG-20110806-00057.jpg

Same here except I am going with wood and coating it with ultra tuff, I am going to start out coating it in spar urethane then I am going to screw it all down and caulk it up then coat the whole inside with the ultra tuff. I am hoping it will hold up for atleast a few years like this I don't have the cash to go all aluminum right now...

Latest posts