Shopping for a Wider Mod-v Aluminum

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT2

Reaction score
I've been running this old '87 Lowe 14V riveted for approx 13 years now with a matching Nissan NS15B 2-stroke. I'll definitely be getting into a 4-stroke but my question has more to do with what new hulls are out there that are built with some of the same type castings that are used on my old Lowe? I'm not seeing any with the bow or transom ends in thick cast metal. Even the center transom brace and the drain is nice heavy cast aluminum. Everything I see is just formed sheet metal and if I didn't own this old rig for comparison I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought. I run mine up on gravel banks, rock outcroppings, and bump up against water cave walls so I'd like something a little more substantial than what I'm seeing. BowPlate.jpgTransomReinforcement1.jpgTransomReinforcement.jpg

Attachments

• HotSpringCave.jpg
    HotSpringCave.jpg
    574.3 KB · Views: 774
that ole boat looks pretty cool to me!. Where in the world are you boating? Middle Earth?

Like everything else things are not built like they used to be. But the new all welded and even some of the riveted boats are pretty tough!

I'm boating pretty much in the outback, Lake Powell, Lower Colorado River, Lower Grand Canyon etc. and occasionally in the Intercoastal in South Texas. It's starting to look like I may have to go to a boat fabricator and have one built using heavier materials. Maybe that's why so many guys on this board are restoring the older boats? I would go for an older wider hull (and just put on new 4-stroke) but the style back then seems to be too narrow. I'd like something about 66" across the bottom. What I have now is 62" across the top.

One option is to find a boat as close to what you want then find a welder to up grade it.
Or since you come to Texas every now and then give the guys at Boatright a call.
https://www.boatrightmarine.com/

The'll build you a battle ship if you want.

That is one sweet ride you have there I wish I had places like that to explore, I think you are right however about there not being any wide older tins they seem to be strictly a newer thing.

Latest posts