Help me MOD my Jon! - '83 Polarkraft 16' Mod V-72 inch beam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutbum24

Reaction score
Well I found this site about 1 week ago and have been cruising it ever since! Because of this great site I have taken another look at my aluminum boat (which I purchased in the spring of 2010) in hopes of making it awesome like most of the boats on this site. I am a newby with the boat mod's - in all honesty I am a newby in working with metal in general. So my Mod is going to be SLOW and wrought with difficulties

My boat is a Polarkraft Mod V 16 foot with a 72 inch beam (width at widest part of transom - 52 inches wide at bottom of transom) - She doesnt leak a drop and is extremely stable - She is pretty beat up and could use some Steelflex on the bottom - I do have decking that I removed for the pictures

Goals of Mod - Primarily used for fly fishing and waterfowl hunting
1. New decking on inside - just replace it with 1/2 inch plywood
2. Potentially put in some storage hatches - where???
3. New carpet and paint on inside - eventually new paint on outside when I have a garage and can put Steelflex on bottom
4. Reinforce the floats - for seating - how??
5. Potentially frame a back deck with a gas tank compartment - I would need access to the plug though - also since it is a tiller motor I still need to be able to reach the motor (could potentially get a tiller handle extender, though)
6. I really just want to clean her up and keep her nice and simple - If there are any fly fisherman out there, you know that your fly line gets caught on EVERYTHING so its in my best interest to keep things uncluttered

1st question - I have not seen another boat with this flotation layout on this website. Is this a fairly rare Mod V design? Did polarkraft only make this type of boat for a few years? Are those flooring brackets/braces factory, or were they put there by the previous owner?

2nd question - after years and years of the floats being used as a seat, the middle of the aluminum has started to sag in - could I potentially place a piece of plywood on top to reinforce the float (strictly from a seating perspective). If so - any ideas on how to attach the plywood. Would I need to place anything between the plywood and floats because the floats are lower in the middle than the sides?

3rd question - How the heck do I remove that glue residue (dont know how old it is) that is on the sides of the boat from the previous carpet - Picture #5

I look forward to this modification process. I am stoked to benefit from all the great information on this site. THANKS!!!

_MG_5244.jpg

_MG_5243.jpg

_MG_5245.jpg

_MG_5250.jpg

_MG_5253.jpg

just keep in mind you want as snag free a deck as possible for fly fishing. flush mount for lights and such.

Latest posts