FLATS BOAT....HELP!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLYMANN

Reaction score
I live on long island and I'm looking to rig an aluminum to get up on the flats. Been browsing and I'm glad I found this forum. I'm looking to set up a boat with a front cap or deck and a rear deck. A poling platform and a tiller. I'm guessing a flat bottom will be more stable than a v hull but it will probably make more noise and be harder to pole. I have only been on a aluminum row boat so I really don't know what to look for. I'm guessing a flat bottom with a modified v? as you can tell I'm all over the place and need guidance. Ive seen a few boats on this site with the poling platform and they look great. My concern is that I will buy a boat and then realize its too tippy or hang a small outboard on the transom and then stand at the rear and have water almost come over the back. This will be used on the south shore of long island for sight fishing for bass. I'm hoping someone has a similar boat and they can lead me in the right direction. I see guys using these aluminum boats for carp and other fresh water applications but I have yet to see one up on a flat in the bay. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. If you have a picture of your aluminum flats boat please post it. when I pick up my boat ill be sure to post on the mod forum.....Bruce

I'm hoping to find a used boat and trailer for under 700 bucks. Not expecting a boat in new condition but I am finding plenty decent boat and trailer deals for 500 to 1000. It would be a winter project. I was hoping someone would chime in and give me an example of what boat they used. Id like to get feedback from someone that has poled an aluminum boat. Curious what type, what horse power, how stable it is, and any pictures. Flat bottom? v? length? etc. Only negative aspect I'm hearing is that they make too much noise. Thanks guys.

flat bottom will go shallow. v hull wont. the bottom width is what makes or breaks stabilty. i would reccomend a 16ft 48" or wider at the bottom. a tunnel hull will allow you to go even more shallow

Latest posts