Opinions on Console Placement Please

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeak12

Reaction score
What does everyone on here prefer for console placement? The boat that I am working on used to have a side console towards the rear of the boat. I would really like a center console since I am a stickler for symmetry and order, but my boat has 40" floor, so that is out of the question. I really wanted some input on location front to back, though. If you get better weight distribution and can see better with a front console, why are rear consoles so prevalent? Right now I am leaning to a side console placed about 3 ft from the front right at the edge of the front deck. To the left of the console will be a single stair with a removable top for mounting batteries in. Keeps the batteries away from the gas tank and counter balance my weight.

I guess my main concern is whether a front console will work for me. I will be mainly using the boat for rivers and I feel like when it gets shallow being at the front will help with rocks.

When you sit in the front of the boat any pitching motion will give you a good pounding. You will truly any wake or chop you run through. When you sit further aft that part of the boat tends to stay in the water, thus, you feel much less impact.

Sit towards the back unless you run in FAC water at all times.

sam

what he said above and get a good dentist bc you will beat the teeth outta your head..but you dont want to much weight to the front or you will plow the nose and never get on plane.

Depends on the water more than anything, you said rocks so shallow river running sounds normal. Mid to front mount consoles are fine, I've run through whitecaps and usually slow down just to save the hull from the pounding. Check out my build for the view angles of my center console (mine is 16" on a 48" floor). It works great. Korywithak's boat has the console mounted right behind the front deck and you can see down into the water easily.

Jamie

I modified a boat for the river and built a forward console. I truly like it. You do need plenty of power to get on plane. Also I had to add power tilt for getting on plane and clearing the shallows.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313063496.212982.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1313063496.212982.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,907
I had an Alumacraft 1542 and used a side console. I mounted it just to the rear of the center bench. It was balanced perfectly. I also mounted my Batt in the middle bench on the passenger side to offset weight.

You can see it here....https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17299&hilit=swamp+sled

Flatbottom has the same boat and mounted his very similar here....https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=20341&p=218796&hilit=swamp+sled#p218796

linehand said:
I modified a boat for the river and built a forward console. I truly like it. You do need plenty of power to get on plane. Also I had to add power tilt for getting on plane and clearing the shallows.

Love that boat and set up Linehand. I really want to do a set up like that with a jet outboard.

I guess I will keep it near the middle. Far enough forward to help with vision, but back far enough to maintain a decent ride. Ideally, I would like to have a set up for shallow rivers and one for intercoastal waters and deeper rivers, but I will see what I can do to manage both.

lovedr79 said:
Mine is a 1448 grizzly and I wish it was a little more forward

Do you sit on the rear bench? I never have liked that. Seems like all jons that people outfit with side or even center consoles sit on the rear bench.

I prefer to mod the rear bench into a deck solely for standing/sitting and fishing . Then sit just fwd of the bench. It moves the weight fwd and balances the boat out much better.