question on rustoleum topside paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dkuster

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have some rustoleum marine metal primer and rustoleum marine topside paint that I plan to use to paint the inside of my 14' deep-V.

I've heard that people have mixed in Valspar enamel hardener to shorten the dry time and improve the durability of the rustoleum.

I have a few questions:

1) Should the hardener be added to both the primer and the topcoat, or just the topcoat?

2) I've read that the hardener is very nasty stuff, and a respirator is needed when spraying it. Do I still need a respirator if I roll / brush the paint outside in the driveway?

Thanks!

-dan

Is that stuff expensive?

I painted the inside of my aluminum boat with just regular Rustoleum primer and paint with a brush. I used Interlux primer and paint on the outside of the hull. The Interlux was $39 per quart.

Anyone?

I thought for sure someone here would have experience with Valspar Enamel Hardener...

nomowork: Are you asking about the Rustoleum Marine Topside? If so, it is less than half the price of what you paid for your paint. I paid roughly $29 for a two-quart pack, so ~$15/qt.

The only negative thing I've read about it is that it tends to dry slowly. That's why I'm considering adding the enamel hardener...

dkuster said:
Anyone?

I thought for sure someone here would have experience with Valspar Enamel Hardener...

nomowork: Are you asking about the Rustoleum Marine Topside? If so, it is less than half the price of what you paid for your paint. I paid roughly $29 for a two-quart pack, so ~$15/qt.

The only negative thing I've read about it is that it tends to dry slowly. That's why I'm considering adding the enamel hardener...

The Interlux dried slowly also, but I'm patient and it is a very durable paint. This was actually a top side paint but used it on the outer hull as this is a fresh water only boat and stored on a trailer and always covered.

Latest posts