Cure for a stinky livewell?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobscreekboy

Reaction score
I had a buddy fab up a livewell from an aluminum sheet I had at the house. I put it in my 14' Jon and it wasnt very practical to put a drain in it. Anyway, it seems like after keeping fish in it or even bait it always stinks afterwards. I guess I should expect it to stink but I try to rinse it good and pump all the water out but I cant seem to get rid of the stink. Any tips for losing the smell?

first thing i would do is cut in a drain even if it drains to the bilge you can rinse it out with fresh water

I'd make sure you get all the bleach out if you use that. It will kill the fish....or get the stains out of them....can't remember which it is. #-o

You need a good drain and flush it. I know lots of offshore tournament fisherman that will absolutely lose their minds of they see soap or bleach near their well. At $100+ for a dozen live baits I don't blame them.

sam

$100 plus for 12 baits? What kind of bait are we talking here? I might want to try some! (as in eat myself)

parkerdog said:
$100 plus for 12 baits? What kind of bait are we talking here? I might want to try some!

I am talking sailfish and kingfish tournaments in South Florida. A dozen live goggle eyes can cost well over $100.00 and you generally need 3-6 dozen a day for a 3 day tournament. I always caught my own, but, I suppose if you are running a million plus dollar boat you can drop a couple of grand for bait.

sam

I still wasn't quite sure what a goggle eye was but I found an article on floridasportfishing.com that talked about them. pretty interesting.

hkmp5s said:
parkerdog said:
Gallon of vinegar and some water. Think about it.

Thats been getting rid of fishy smell for years. :lol:

Finally! someone appreciated my humour. lol

But seriously that is an old household tip to remove odors from stuff and it's not toxic.

Latest posts