Newb here

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flatsboater72

Reaction score
Whats up fellow boaters. Ted here and nice to meet you all. Here the scoop.

Just got a 16ft Landau, 1978 Evinrude 25hp with trailer, brand new battery for 500 bucks. I know a steal. Got it home and needed a new transom, ripped all the old stuff out, rebuilt the new one and its strong as hell nullow, welded a few small holes in the hull and we are in great shape now. Now the motor runs strong but after it heats up it will jump out of forward into neutral and will sputter a little bit. Is there a site or shop that sells old motor parts like mine? A couple of teeth on the throttle arm have rotted off and the gear lever needs replacement as well. Thanks to everyone that can help and hope this is a cool site to get to know other people with the same interests.

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining! Glad to have you here!

The boat was a steal for $500...nice score! A few members will chime in soon to help you look in the right direction for the parts you need. Please post a picture or two of the boat when you get a chance.

Jim

Welcome to the group. I am rather new on here myself.
That sounds like a real steel you got with the boat. Don't know about the cogs on the tiller, but speaking from experience, I would guess that you have rounded lobes on your clutch dog on you motor. The older evenruides were noted for that. Sometimes, you can turn it over (reverse it) to make it work. However, I recommend you just go ahead and replace it.

I sure hope you are not calling your 1978 old. Those are considered barely worn in, as far as Johnnyrudes go. I mean, one from 1955 isn't even considered an antique, just a classic.

Try tcoutboard.com, or americanoutboard.com for parts. Go to crowleymarine.com to look at the diagrams, and get part numbers. New parts are available through them, but they will cost you an arm and a leg. The tiller handle will be listed under exhaust housing. Those tillers aren't going to be cheap. I am looking for one for my 1974 Evinrude 40, and it will cost about half of what I paid for the whole motor.

The shifting problem does sound like a clutch dog issue. Otherwise, something may not be clicking in all the way with the shift linkage, but my money is probably on a clutch dog.

yeah, I managed to pay Jons Marine Boat Yard a visit today and was out there for about 2 hours searching through all the old outboards in hopes i would find one like mine and after no luck I trip over an identical match! 1978 evinrude 25hp it was pretty much stripped but I managed to salvage the whole tiller arm, the kill switch, the gear handle and stem and the original gas line plug hookup for 25 bucks. I stripped down the motor tonight and will get some pics up in a bit. For anyone looking for parts that place had so much stuff I was there a good 3 hours total, great place.

I wish I had a marine salvage yard near here. Even if I didn't need anything in particular, spending a few hours sifting through the parts would be well worth the time.

Latest posts