appleby 14f

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnboat_red

Reaction score
hello all,
new to the site, just got a john boat that is in need of some work but the most important parts are covered.
IT FLOATS, and it DOESN'T LEAK... well there was just a hint of watter in the bottom but it was just the drain plug being old.

I was wonder if anyone could give me any information or advise on this boat.
i know the wood on the transom is rotted, it feels like a sponge. it defiantly needs a paint job as well.

ill try to get some pics up shortly :fishing:

i have a 13 foot appleby i bought at k mart in 1979. i used it clamming for three seasons and it has beed siting unused ever since. the wood on the transom rotted and the plug is lost. it never leaked. it is a well made boat-- nothing fancy. should make you a good fishing boat on a lake.------- bill11

boat022.jpg

boat021.jpg

I was thinking about using truck bedliner to paint the bottom and 3-4" up the side
and possibly cammo on the rest of the boat.

I'm thinking the the bedliner to help with scratches.

I plan on using this boat to run some of the decent sized lakes and smaller rivers and possibly excursions up some creeks and inlets.

the plate says the boat handles up to a 15hp motor. but it scoots along pretty good with a 44lb thrust trolling motor
any thoughts on how fast this thing would go with a 15hp ?

well i got the tape measure out
the width measures 36" at the transom
and transomt to bow lenght is 13' 10"

so i guess the boat is a 1436

oh pulled this out of the small lake by my house
fish002.jpg

didn't measure but I'm gonna guess at least 12"

i had a 10 hp on mine and it moved right along. a 15 hp would be great but i dont know in terms of mph it would be. You wouldnt want more then that though. Read some posts on line x or rhino lining. Some people like it and others don't recomend it. -------bill11

thanks for the advise bill

i was looking around at a big box store before i went to work and found what might be the ticket for priming this boat

its rust-oleum aluminum primer

4 cans of primer a 15 pack of 80grit sanding disks and $50 later i got a decent start to this project.

i think I'm going to put her up on saw horses and fill'er up with water to make sure she doesn't have any leaks so i can head off any loose rivets before they become a major pain later on.

the other thing I'm contemplating is putting some type of flooring in my boat.
i have access to some second hand aluminum sheet but its only about 24x60 and i'm not sure if i want to take the time to butt weld the sheets, grind the welds down, painting them with bedliner paint, and fit them to the boat. i might go with some 3/8 exterior grade ply and astro turf nice easy and not blazing hot in the sun. :mrgreen:
i forget who did it but i like the idea of decking that lifts out so i can clean up and do repairs more easily
also i don't have a trailer right now so putting it in the back of my pickup is the only way to go.
that makes weight a major concern. the boat as it is right now is not to bad i can move it around by myself but i'm worried about adding to much weight. removable decks might be the ticket.

having the ability to remove the deck is a good idea in such a small boat. If i were to put plywood in my appleby i would use 1/2 and coat all sides with epoxy resin so it will never rot. I also discovered a product called coosa board, it is strong, light weight and waterproof. ( it is foam core ) you can google it to check it out.

Latest posts