Fuel Line

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freedomfightr

Reaction score
Just wondering is it mandatory or a must to always disconnect the fuel line from the outboard motor? Is it common practice? I experienced a wonderful day at the launch wondering why my 2001 Mercury 15hp 4Stroke was puking fuel out the top of the carb. The night before it was running fine. Took it out the next day and fuel dumping everywhere. I loaded the boat back up, went home and took the carb apart. Carb was super clean did not see anything wrong. Put it all back together and she fired right up and was not dumping any fuel. The only thing I could think of is, by leaving the fuel line on, the fuel tank and fuel line pressurized witch caused the float to stick? not sure?

I like to disconnect my line at the motor before cutting it off and letting it run until it dies. It helps to get the fuel out of the the lines/carb. It may not be a big issue if you run your motor a lot, but with people saying how ethanol can eat seals, etc. I like to be on the safe side. I do have a quick disconnect on my motor where the line plugs in though.

Latest posts