Trolling motor problem

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonBoatfever

Reaction score
my dad has a starcraft superfisherman 196 and it is a deep vee boat. It is a 99 and we are the original owners. We took off the original trolling motor off because the sharft was too short and would come out of the water when we were in waves. has anyone ever extended trolling motor shafts? If so howd did you do it, was it easy?

Not an expert, just trying to offer advice. I believe I've seen posts where owners have ordered longer shafts through MinnKota and did the work themselves. That's about all I can help on this one.

I had a Minn Kota shaft extended once. I took it to an dealer and had it done. He had a longer shaft that was used in stock. I think he charged me about $50 and kept my old shaft.

I have heard they are epoxied on, but don't know if that is the truth or not.

I'm not sure what brand TM you have but I know that the Minn Kota shafts (52") cost around $32 if you purchase it through Minn Kota. If I remember correctly, the labor estimate ran about $35.

Years ago my father lengthen the shaft on his trolling motor (not sure what brand), and it worked, but didn't look good. He had to epoxy around the base to insure it was watertight.

I've been told that Minn Kota's are screwed in and then glued. I don't think you would want to do it yourself. I've heard that it is more trouble than it is worth.

Latest posts