Is Your Motor Clamped, Bolted, or Both

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squeak12

Reaction score
I'm curious to see what is common practice of fastening the motor to the transom on these boats? Is yours simply clamped on, bolted on, or both? I noticed at BassPro that they were bolted on in four places with no clamps. A friend of mine has his clamped on only. Mine was clamped on and the bottom bolted through. Also, what size motor do you have for weight comparisons.

My rig isnt quite finsihed but I only plan to clamp my outboard. Its just a 10 horse. Its a 1956 model and to be honest, Im not even sure it has holes to be bolted. I still wouldnt bolt it anyhow, it only weighs 70 pounds and it will be easier to remove it when I fish the electric only lakes.

My last rig had a 40 horse Merc on it. It was clamped and bolted.

i have a 40 horse don't know the weight but its both clamped and bolted, i believe it has four bolts

clamped 9.9. so handy,eletric lakes,portaging and a lake that you can only use ther boats on but you can use your own motor.

one time the bearing went out on one side of my trailer. took my boat down to bare hull.put everything in the bed. put the boat over the cab.went home and unloaded then went and got the trailer.

50 hp 4 stroke Merc. bolted.

Here's a couple of good reasons to bolt a motor on.

mr.vrooman;3410990 said:
Title says it all.
Brand new Yamaha 20hp short shaft. not even through the first oil change...and i never did find it. insurance wont cover it.

Has this ever happened to anyone?? I cant believe it.. sold nearly everything I owned to buy the thing, and its gone like that.

I am in total shock,feel sick about it, and feel pretty stupid.
Has anyone heard of one being found?

bannerd;3377687 said:
Hey guys, I lost my evinrude 15HP motor in the drink a few weeks ago(rainbowLake nY). I picked up a under water metal detector and started running grid lines to find her again. The water is about 4ft deep (10ft in the deepest spot). I've had no luck, I did buy a 250lb magnet that will be here this weekend. I've spend two weekends diving down and trying to find it. There is a lot of vegetation and a small current. I was looking at sonar systems but I'm not sure how good these will be at finding a 77lbs motor? I can't afford the real expensive ones. Anyone have any advice on this? I'm thinking this weekend I will run the magnet on the bottom and continue metal detecting under water.

These are off another forum but both have happened in the past 30 days.

The guy that lost his motor in the water luckily found it after it being submerged for 3 or 4 weeks, they guy that lost his motor on the highway hasn't found his motor yet.

It doesn't require that much effort to put a couple of bolts on a motor and it sure is good insurance.

25HP 2-stroke Yammy. Clamped only, was going to bolt but the clamps seem to hold it on fine. On my old boat I had a 9.9 and both bolted/clamped as the clamps didn't hold it that well.

Suzuki 25 4 bolts on cmc tilt & trim. Suzuki 15 & Tohatsu 9.8 both clamped because I remove them when not in use. I do have cables and sturdy clips on the two clamp only motors. Hopefully if one does come loose it'll only get banged up and not gone.

Latest posts