Looking for first boat, recommendations and advice please.`

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sachbvn

Reaction score
Hey guys, first time poster here and looking for a first boat - I know that leaves a TON of options so I'll try to give some more info to narrow it down a bit.

This is for my dad and I, no more than 2 people in the boat at any given point, probably 400 pounds or less for the people's weight. I've been thinking I'd really like to get a Jon Boat with either a partial conversion already done or the ability to add like a flat floor and a possible deck on both front and back - not a huge conversion - something small. The waters that this thing would be in is mostly farm ponds, maybe a smaller lake or old strip mines, and very doubtfully the Illinois River - possible, but doubtful. Many of these places don't even allow gas motors so the with or without motor doesn't really bother me....

Price point? I'm not sure..... I'm looking at $1000 or under RIGHT NOW - maybe as much as $1500 or $2000 when we actually buy. The goal is to get something over the winter and have it ready for next spring - if a steal came through - I may purchase sooner, but that's not the point.

Ok - here's a couple of Craig's List ads - remember....I won't be buying a gas motor in the beginning anyways - so if it comes with one - great - if not.... no biggy. I will be buying a trolling motor, so hopefully I can find a boat that comes with one.

A couple of other things..... can you mount bass seats to the regular bench seats of a jon boat - or do you really need to put in some type of decking? Regarding any possible future mods - I have some woodworking skill and we are pretty handy guys, but we don't weld and don't have easy access to welding / metal fabricating equipment..... if we needed a small weld we could get it done, but nothing like doing the mod out of steel or anything.

Ok - the links:

https://peoria.craigslist.org/boa/2535254563.html This guy just posted the same boat a week later for $850.... I'd offer a lesser bid if I decided to get serious about it.

https://peoria.craigslist.org/boa/2549561713.html

https://peoria.craigslist.org/boa/2473832216.html

A couple of other things..... I know welded boats are generally longer lasting and more stable than riveted boats (right?) - but I don't know ANY difference in brand quality. So.... Tracker, Lowe, Polar Kraft, etc..... means nothing to me other than they are all jon boats. Are their vast differences?

Thanks for all the help guys!
Zac

if you have the cash jump on that first one!! that thing is clean :shock: and for 950 a steal :shock:

that first boat isn't bad, on thing about it is though they say its stable its not going to be with that deck, it wont be bad but it will move, if the 16 looked good i would go with it, it allows growth you can add a larger outboard to it and fish larger bodies of water without worry or you could leave it without a motor to fish the electric lakes, 2 feet longer and a foot wider doesn't seem like allot when first looking but it makes a world of difference on the water, when you go to look at whatever boat you decide on check the boat out, but don't forget to check the trailer out , a good trailer is just as good as a boat

To answer your question about mounting seats, we just got a new sponsor. Think the company is called Slider G5. Check them out in the sponsor section. Pretty neat idea, and yes, you can mount your seats directly to the bench, and with their product you can slide it side to side across your bench...

Just looked at your options there, and I'd definitely check out the 16ft. That 14ft is super clean, but with the weird front deck design that ends like 8 inches in front of the seat, you have a definite chance of falling into it and breaking an ankle while out on the water. Sounds stupid, but you never know. And that last boat I think is just too much money for what they have. I agree with what 79Stroker said about the extra length too, it may not sound like much, but that 16ft is probably huge compared to the 14ft.

Welded boats aren't any better than riveted boats, aluminum welds can, have, and will crack... and since you're not a welder welding aluminum is expensive.

Riveted boats are easy to work on and maintain once you get the hang of it, and that doesn't take long.

A few of pieces of advice when buying a used boat.

1. If they say the motor just needs a tuneup they're lying, if it just needed a tuneup they'd do it themselves and sell the boat faster and for more money.

2. If the boat has an amatuerish paint job it means it leaks and they've painted to temporarily stop the leaks.

3. If there are additional boards or plates on the transom it means the transom is probably rotten and needs replacing.

Leaks and transom repair aren't hard jobs to fix on tinnies, but you should keep them in mind when bargaining on the price and add the price in to the total price of the boat.

When buying a boat that has already been converted, ask them how they framed up under the decking. If they used wood they really didn't know what they were doing. If they used metal (aluminum) it's probably a better job.

On the 14' jon find out if they used a Self Etching Primer. If not the paint is going to give you problems.

Latest posts