Buying a motor for the first time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basstender10.6

Reaction score
I found an evinrude 6hp on craigslist https://newjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2548900798.html
From what I can tell, it looks like a 88' or 89'. I called the guy and he said someone left it there a few years ago and recently asked him to sell it for him. He said he had his friend "mr. fix it" come over and look at the outboard. The plugs were fouled.. (is that a bad thing) and they replaced both plugs. A can or hose is not included in the price. Assuming I can hondle and get this motor for a little less than the asking price of $375, is it worth it. He said that they got it running good and the water pump worked. If I do buy it, how much money will I have to put into it to get it running great?
Thanks

Bring a barrel to run the motor in before you buy it. A motor will show more problems (if it has any) under a load as to just putting muffs on it

Loggerhead Mike said:
Bring a barrel to run the motor in before you buy it. A motor will show more problems (if it has any) under a load as to just putting muffs on it
yes, he said that he would do that. Should I have him idle it low and see it is stalls or sputters?

basstender10.6 said:
Should I have him idle it low and see it is stalls or sputters?

Yup!

I just sold a four hp Johnson for $200. It was in good running condition and the buyer ran it at all speeds in a barrel. I even gave him a brand new hose, bulb and 3 gallon tank too.

Latest posts