Hello Everyone!..And a few questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmedoc

Reaction score
:D Hello Tinboats! Fantastic website you all have going here. So much information my brain hurts from trying to process it all!

My name is Craig, and have been in the Army for 16 years, currently in San Antonio. I am going to look at and possibly pick up my first boat this evening, but wanted to ask a few questions to the experts out there so I know exactly what I am getting myself into.

The boat I am looking at is a 1978 Ouachita 12' Jon Boat. The only pic I have of it right now is the one below. I have done lots of research and searching on the web and most of this site, but wanted to make sure I am in the right if I decide to pull the trigger and bring this home with me tonight:

1) Structural integrity concerns with a boat this old? I am not concerned about a few loose rivets as those are easily fixed, but when is it considered too many to mess with? What about supports?

2) I know it has 3 seats in it, as long as they are not damaged, there should still be ample support to minimize flexing correct?

3) Any tell tale signs that a transom is unrepairable to the point of walking away? I know enough about fabrication that I could rebuild with wood and braces, but if there is something that says "don't even try" what would that be?

4) Stability. I have read numerous posts on here about width at the bottom of the boat. Is there a general guideline for "too narrow" to make a safe fishing platform that will include myself and my small kids?

5) I know I won't have much room on a 12' boat, but will this boat suffice to accomodate some small lake fishing with minimal rough water? Those familiar with San Antonio area, I will be conducting most of my fishing at Canyon Lake and Calaveras Lake.

6) Anything that should be done 1st thing before I take it out on the maiden voyage? Not talking about the registration and stuff like that, more on the lines of what I planned on doing below (fill in if I missed a step):
a) Fill inside of boat to water line and check for leaks
b) Fix any rivets either by reseating or replacing
c) Seal any leaks with 3M 5200 or Gluvit type material on inside of boat only

7) Any problem with future mods on a boat this old? I won't be going all out like some of you have (which look fantastic BTW), but I have plans for a trolling motor, swivel seats, a storage compartment or 2, and maybe a few other goodies. I worry about strength of the aluminum for its age and wonder if it is thick enough to hold the extra supports and materials adequately? I don't want a row boat, but don't need a jet boat either. I am fine cruising around at 5-8 MPH where I will be fishing.

Thanks in advance for all the assistance. I appreciate it. I will post some more pictures of the boat if I make the deal this evening. Looking forward to a great learning experience here on tinboats!

~Craig

newboat.jpg

The age of the aluminum and the boat should not be an issue. The main concern I see here is taking kids out. I had a 12' V-Hull and it was very tippy, not as bad as a canoe but I think you get the point. No problem when I was alone, but when I brought the family out the boat filled up fast and was limited in where we could go and what we could do. For my money, I'd hold out for at least 14' and 40" at the bottom, 48" would be top choice but very hard to find used. Good luck.

You be careful on Canyon lake with that small of a boat, especially with kids. I have been on it when it was pretty rough.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Yeah, I've been on it in rough waters as well. Not real fun, especially on the jet ski. If the water is bad the kids wont be going. Hell, if its that bad, I won't be going, lol.

Hey Craig...welcome to the TinBoat family and thanks for your service. :USA1:

So far, everything you've asked about are things that I've seen fixed starting on a really bad boat. You should be alright if you have the ability to work with these materials.

I am concerned with the small size of the boat too. My first was a flat bottom jon that was 1648. That, is the minimum that I would put the family in. Good luck, and be careful.

wait for a 14' if you can, the cost won't be that much more and the extra 2' does make a difference.

Thanks for all the replies and the assistance folks.

So my evening went like this.. Went and looked at boat and trailer. Really nice condition for its age. Transom is less than year old, only 2 small cracks in the aluminum seats, not a single loose rivet as previous owner took care of it all. Was recently sanded to bare and painted with exterior grade oil paint on inside and outside. Not the greatest, but good until winter. Overall, decent boat. Came with Dilly Tilt trailer that needs a paintjob, but has new bearings and lights. Threw in 2 seats, swivel mounts, 34lb Minnkota Troller, lights, 180Amp Deep Cel Marine Battery, rod holders, and anchor all brand new in boxes minus the trolling motor which was used once. Guy got into a financial bind and needed cash to pay a bill before he lost something. Long story short, I had $300 bucks in my pocket, offered him $250, and we settled on $275. Got all the stuff loaded up in the back of my truck, hooked it up, and headed home with titles in hand and a new toy! It was dark when I got home, so pictures will come later today or tomorrow depending on work schedule.

Got home and here's the conversation:

Wife: "I thought you were buying a fishing boat?"
Me: "I just did!"
Wife: "What are you going to do with that small thing?"
Me: "Enjoy myself when the water is calm and start fishing rivers."
Wife: "What about the kids?"
Me: "I found a web site that advised against kids on this as well, but I couldn't pass up the deal. I will try with Brandon (my 10 y/o) and see how it goes before the little ones go out with me."
Wife: "Why not just use that for you and your buddies and go buy the pontoon boat you wanted for the Family? The kids can fish off of that right?"
Me: "Of course, but that boat is expensive and I want to fish now, and in smaller areas. I can't do that with a pontoon boat."
Wife: "So I guess that means by the end of the summer we are going to have to find room for our jetski, your boat, and the family pontoon boat? Whatever, as long as you include the kids in your fishing."

Geez I love my wife sometimes! I am so lucky!

So, I guess this will be my river rafter for awhile and then once I get all the ins and outs of this tin boat thing figured out, I will decide what to do next.

Sounds like you got a good deal for $275. That isn't a lot of money and shouldn't be hard to unload later if you decide to do so. It is still small though. Be careful.

Latest posts