Trolling Motor Mount Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_dork

Reaction score
I have an old foot control MotorGuide trolling motor on my Alumacraft 1232. I've seen several types of mounts and I'm looking for ideas. Currently I am using 2 2x6's stacked up to lift it up over the bow so it will work. I was looking and found this cool bracket from Motorguide for $100, but it doesn't really solve the height issue and it's expensive, but gave me an idea about creating a removable mount.

5204564.jpg

I think that I could mount a 2x2 to the deck then take 2 2x3's or or something and put them on either side with a brace across either end. Then use a mounting pin to run through all 3 pieces just like in the Motorguide bracket. Anyone ever done anything like that?

IMG_1240.JPG

So, what are some good ways to mount the motor securely without a pile of lumber or having the ability to fabricate something from metal? Can I just use less wood? I just don't want it to break loose when in use.

Well, I made a custom mount and it seems pretty stable. It turns out that I didn't need as much height to clear the front as I thought. I just used a 2x2 for the middle support that's screwed to the deck. Then used 2 2x3's mounted to the trolling motor mount. I drilled holes through all 3 pieces with my drill press and used bolts to slide through as a pin. I may end up making a pit with a handle type deal so I can remove them without pliers and such.

photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Well done! You might want to paint/varnish the wood so it will last longer.

Latest posts