temporary hull repair question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KRS62

Reaction score
I have about a 1 inch "hole" in the bottom of my hull that I have tried twice now to repair twice now with JB Weld. It looks like it might be at a rivet/weld point and "hole" part part of the hull is still attached to a rib or something. I am not exactly sure, but suspect when I get in rough water, the boat flexes and the patch just pops off.

I am not overly concerned about the appearance of the hull (as you can tell by my JB Weld job) but I just need it to get me into next off season (or two) when I plan a bottom job. Any suggestions?

A buddy of mine suggested a repair similar to patching an inner tube. Cut a small piece of aluminum (larger than the hole) and patch it over the entire area. I would put a good seal of JB Weld around it to keep the water out. My concern is getting this patch off when I do the bottom job. Perhaps I can sand it off? Fill over it?

I could also take it to a welder I guess and have the patch done "right." That requires taking it out of service for bit though.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. I am tired of running my bilge every 20 minutes!

thanks,

Kris

Attachments

• Melbourne-20110817-00083.jpg
    Melbourne-20110817-00083.jpg
    350.5 KB · Views: 475
If you think it's flexing, take the epoxy off, make an aluminum patch 1" larger and make and RTV silicone sandwich, then rivet the patch to the hull.

Jamie

For a temporary patch that needs to come off in a couple years, I like Ranchero's idea. Personally, I'd use 5200 in the sammich though.

I'd use a 3" square patch of aluminum with a good marine silicone sealant and rivet it on like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0MA1-5NXjs&feature=related

Then just drill the rivets out and pry the patch off with a chisel when you want to do something else.

Cabella's makes an aluminum patch that works well. I have used it many times. Works well and flexes.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Aluminum-Boat-Patch/699968.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Daluminum%2Bpatch%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=aluminum+patch&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Latest posts