Battery charging advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

architorture

Reaction score
I'm about to leave for school (tomorrow), and I won't be able to keep my boat at my apt. I'll be storing it outside at a storage unit place. My main concern with that is charging the batteries. I have two batteries, an everstart starting battery, and a deep cycle. I'm quite certain the starting battery is charged by the outboard, but I don't know about the deep cycle. Obviously even if it was, it can't keep it fully charged. Since I can't leave my boat at my apt, am I going to have to bring the batteries back there to charge them? This is probably obvious, but I'm wondering if there's any no-brainers I've missed or if someone has successfully dealt with this issue already. Thanks guys! -Tucker

At this storage place,would they allow you to use an extension cord and plug in a two banks battery charger ?...most multibank battery chargers are microprocessor controled and it only charges the battery that needs charging,you set up the battery type (deep cycle or star battery and the thing does the rest)...or you can try a big solar pannel that could charge your battery (you you use too small of a solar pannel won't do much...).
Good luck,
Dan :wink:

I'd be more concerned about the battieries disappearing if it's outside storage... If not, just monitor them and charge as needed. I run a single for the troller and house battery and I only charge mine when it drops close to 12vdc. I have a voltmeter built into my depth finder, end up topping it off every two trips out and the battery is five years old. A new one would be about once a month...

Jamie

I use a cheap Harbor Freight float charger on my starting batteries when they are not in use on the boats. The float charger helps maintain the voltage on the batteries.

I don't know about using one on a deep cycle though.

Latest posts