Steelflex - Don't kill the new guy!!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rmedoc

Reaction score
I know I know, another newbie asking about Steelflex. I used the search and have read everything, but couldn't find my answer, sorry. I'll keep it quick.

How do you tell if a previous owner used Steelflex or not? What can you do to check it if anything?

The boat I got last night was originally believed to be an oil based paint. Upon further inspection, it seemed to be thicker than normally applied paint, and had some give to it when pressed, almost like the resistence you get when you press on a raquet ball. Not like it presses in a lot, just a tiny bit. I hope that makes sense. It is as smooth as a baby bottom in some areas, others it is almost like it has a slight texture to it, yet still very minute and not rough to the touch.

Anywho, I called the previous owner backed and asked what he used to paint the entire boat and he said he couldn't remember but it was something he had to call and order over the phone as he couldn't find it anywhere in a store or online. From what I have read about the company that makes it, this seems like the stuff, but who knows.

Just want to find out what I am starting with material wise on the whole thing, and I can't identify this 'paint' by looking at it and I can't get it to flake off of any where when scratching it.

Thanks for any help to this strange question.

Unless steelflex changes overtime, Id say is something else. I just steelflexed my boat a couple weeks ago and its pretty hard. Definately will not give when pressed like you describe.

BassBlaster said:
Unless steelflex changes overtime, Id say is something else. I just steelflexed my boat a couple weeks ago and its pretty hard. Definately will not give when pressed like you describe.

X2

Doesn't sound like steelflex. That sounds more like a bedliner without the granules. Maybe Durabak in smooth.

Latest posts