New to the forum and first boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stanfordclaus

Reaction score
I discovered this forum just in time! I'm looking for my first boat and am an avid fisherman. I will be looking at one tomorrow, pictures are included. It's a 12 foot vhull aluminum boat with a 15 hp Johnson motor. Does this boat look like what I should be looking for for a first boat? I will be taking it out on the lake with the current owner. What should I look for or what questions should I ask when I'm looking at it? He is asking $1250.

Thanks!

Paul

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 661
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 661
Welcome! I'm pretty new too - this place is very inspiring! Hmm, that's a pretty good looking boat. Check for any leaks when you are out on the lake. See how easily that motor gets the boat up on plane with the two of you in the boat. See if it feels tippy when you stand up and fish (because if it's not stable with no decks, it's not going to be with them). See if you think a 12 footer is big enough for your needs. That said, the price seems a little high to me. I assume it includes the trailer pictured. I paid $2K for my 14' tin, and it came with the trailer w/ new tires and bearings, a nearly new Honda 8HP, trolling motor, 2 new deep cycle batteries, charger, GPS, FF, accessories (anchor, jackets, oar, net, etc. etc.) Depending on what is being sold with the boat, and the condition of the motor, I wouldn't offer more than $1K. Others may have a different opinion - this is just mine!

Looks like a nice little boat, but the price is crazy (for my area). I see boats like that listed for $750 all the time, in my area. I paid $1000 for my 16' boat, 35hp Evinrude, trolling motor, batteries...

devilmutt said:
Looks like a nice little boat, but the price is crazy (for my area). I see boats like that listed for $750 all the time, in my area. I paid $1000 for my 16' boat, 35hp Evinrude, trolling motor, batteries...

That's a good point about price ... I am in Northern California which is just about the most expensive place in the country outside of NYC. If you are in the Midwest or South, then the $1250 price is even more out of step.

Seems high to me too. Boats like that go for $600-800 around here. I picked up my 06 1542 for $600. I would be patient and a better deal will come your way.

Looks like my tin, only green and with more power (15Hp is definitely the way to go on a boat that size).

From the pics everything looks to be in good shape, but in my area that price is high also - if it was something I was interested in chasing down, I'd offer 800 cash - that's about what an older 15Hp motor's worth (again, around here), boat and trailer are just gravy.

C

Latest posts