Are older jons likely to be a thicker gauge aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Reaction score
Some of the new stuff is about like tin foil (.047, .053, etc). I've got a line on a Sears 1973 (with a 60s Clinton, lol) that I may look at tomorrow. I don't have outside calipers to check but what do you think?

Thanks!

Steve

Nope, pre '80 is usually paper thin with minimal ribs. All the newer stuff is at least .063". I haven't seen any new stuff thinner than that.

Jamie

Some of the old jon's were paper thin.

Anyone remember the silver jon's that was made with the rippled looking skin? I've seen beer cans that had thicker walls.

the only way i could see getting that would to be to buy two of them rip the insides of the one out put the other one in it weld the tops together :LOL2: they were maid to be light but come on!!!!!!!!!!

.43 for that Tracker 1436 is crazy!

When I was looking for my swampsled project I looked at the Tracker 1542 and it was the thinnest at .63 (that I found) in that size range.

Alumacraft uses .73 on thier riveted boats which is pretty thick for a riveted hull. Trackers Grizzley welded boats only use .100 Alum.

If your going with a new riveted boat Alumacraft or Lowe is the only way to go. .73 for Alumacraft and .72 for Lowe. Alumcraft and Lowe also use big ribs that go up the sides (not just across the floor like tracker riveted boats).

Most welded boats use .125 Alum except Tracker which uses .100 alum. Of course there are some out there that use really thick stuff.

Correction. I just looked at lowe's website and they use .100 on thier welded boats too!

I did not look at all the models so they may use different thickness on different boats. The 1655 uses .100 I guess its no tougher than the Tracker Grizzley! Even though they use that gauge they are pretty tough boats. But of course some people will be able to tear up anything.

Thanks! I'm going to get the trailer (with spousal permission, lol) and then stay on the lookout for an Alumacraft or Lowe. Neither has a dealer in my area. Indeed I was disappointed with the 2012 1436 Tracker that I looked at...and they had the nerve to raise the price! ($649 in 2011, $699 for the 2012).
Steve

SteveF said:
Neither has a dealer in my area.

Not sure of your location, but Cabela's stocks Lowe boats, pretty decent price too. Also, if you are active duty or a veteran, there is a 10% discount on Lowe boats.

LOL, you guys make it seem like having a .043" thick hull means instant death if you hit a twig. I have a 2006 Tracker 1436 with the .043" aluminum and it's performed great for me over the last 6 years. I've ran it into plenty of crap, broke through ice a few times with it, and have to ground it on rocks every time I take it out on my local lake, and I've never had an issue. I guess it all depends on how you're going to use it and what you're comfortable with, but to each their own. Personally I like having the lighter weight hull for when I need to hand carry it to the water. :p

On a side note, you can get a Lowe 1436L that's .050".
https://www.loweboats.com/showroom/riveted-jon/lowe-jon/l1436l.php

You are absolutely right "Butthead" LOL.....

There are a lot of 30-40 year old boats out there made out of thin material that are still in great shape after being used hard.

My dad had a little 10 footer (coleman) from the 50's I think. It was thrown a few miles in tornado. That along with 30 years of abuse in a rock quarry and it it was beat to heck. he just took a hammer to it straightened it out and we used it for another 15 years. I took it to NC and overpowered it with 5hp merc, beat the heck out of it for 2 years and sold it. It was still in pretty good shape.

I would think that any of the big manufacturer boats are of good quality. If you take care of them they will last for years and years. They may last even if you don't take good care of them.

Thanks gang. I'll just focus on the right length and width, etc and not hang up on the gauge!

Steve

Latest posts