Saying hello with a few questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PolarrrBearrr

Reaction score
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster. This site is awesome, and its given me a lot of ideas for my project.

Brief background: been fishing and crabbing since forever. Between Dad and the BSA I've had a lot of exposure to the outdoors, hunting and fishing. Since I've gotten older, bought a house and moved near (almost on) the Raritan Bay in Jersey I had to get my own boat. Dad always had a 12' or 14' that I was the first mate on, but I've never had my own. He had an old one up at our place in PA, with no motor that had been sitting since about '84. All I really know is its a Duracraft, and roughly 10' - so its a little on the short side. But for free, I can't really complain.

Got around to getting a Evenrude 9.9, and a trailer - though the trailer needs a little work, and could probably loose about 100 lbs. of steel. (But for $100, I can't complain.)

At any rate, I have a few questions. I plan on using it in both the bays, coves and inlets around NJ, as well as some freshwater ponds, lakes, and reservoirs. I'd like to first, remove the center bench seat, and add a deck to the front and the back. I guess the question is, will removing the center bench cause problems with the center flexing? or will the added decking take care of that? There also seems to be a lack of ribs along the bottom, that also concerns me about the removal of the center seat.

Other than myself and gear, the most that would be in the boat is my fiancee and a Jack Russell Terrier. I do plan on adding running lights, but for the moment, I want to just get out there and do some fishing before the season is over. I'm more looking for info on the actual modification of the boat before I start gathering parts and supplies.

Below are the pics:

dsc_0115.jpg

dsc_0116.jpg

dsc_0117.jpg

dsc_0118.jpg

Thanks for any advice and info!

your benches look like the only cross braces i would be nervous removing them. https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9074 . if by decking you mean a level floor it could work if you mean a elavated fishing platform(near bench height) i think that is a recipe for going swimmin.

if i were in you situation i would spend my money on accesories i could move to bigger hull and save for a little bit.your trailer and engine can handle alot more boat. academy has a minn-kota 30lb trolling motor for $99.

my 9.9 moves my boat 11-13 mph fully loaded so your boat should scoot

Latest posts