Deck Thoughts???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBlaster

Reaction score
I'm not ready for decking yet but was out messing with the boat today and discovered a problem I hadnt noticed before and want to get you guys thought on it.

My outboard is a beautiful 1956 Johnson 10 horse. Its all original and in near mint condition so I dont want to alter it in any way, meaning I dont want to convert it to a fuel pump. Because of that, I have to use the old school 2 line pressure tank. Its much taller than the modern low profile tank and will not fit into the compartment I had planned. Its 2", maybe 3" too tall. Havnt actually measured it yet. So, I had a couple ideas. First off, raising the deck is not an option. This is a 1436 and I'm fat, lol. Were going with low floors to keep the center of gravity down. The rear deck will be at the same height as the bench with a seat mounted directly to it, not on a post. The deck is just to keep it clean looking, not for standing purposes.

The two ideas I came up with are these...

1. Just leave the fuel tank compartment open.

I really wanted a clean finished look and being able to see the fuel tank and the bildge pump dosnt accomplish that.

2. Leave a small opening in the hatch door so the top of the tank can stick out.

This would also be nice that the primer pump will be at the ready without opening the hatch and the fuel guage would also be visible. However I think this will look tacky.

What would you do? I'd like to hear other ideas if you got em too. Thanks!!

you basically have 2 options.one is to buy new tanks or build a vent for them.a guy posted this on my page.you have to see what your regulations are there.this would cover up the tanks being visible.
Ventilation (Boats built prior to August 1, 1980)
At least two ventilator ducts fitted with cowls or their equivalent for the purpose of properly and efficiently ventilating the bilges of every closed engine and fuel -tank compartment of boats constructed or decked over after April 25, 1940, using gasoline as fuel or other fuels having a flash point of 110 degrees or less.

Ventilation (Boats built after August 1, 1980)
At least two ventilator ducts for the purpose of efficiently ventilating every closed compartment that contains a gasoline engine and every closed compartment containing a gasoline tank, except for those having permanently installed tanks which vent outside the boat and contain no unprotected electrical devices. Also, engine compartments containing a gasoline engine having a cranking motor must contain power operated exhaust blowers which can be controlled from the instrument panel.

Purchasing a new tank isnt an option. These tanks are not made anymore and as far as I know they never made a low profile version of these tanks.

I'd celebrate the tank, paint it up nice like the engine and have it hanging out the top of the decking like a monument to the coolness that it is.

Jamie

I'm thinking about it. I got someone checking on pricing to get it powder coated. I found decals online. That would have to be down the road if I did it. It needs it anyhow, the tank isnt near as nice as the motor.

Form over function is overrated and impractical!

Leave the tank compartment open, it's not like you're going to be entertaining Paris Hilton out on your boat.

jigngrub said:
Form over function is overrated and impractical!

Leave the tank compartment open, it's not like you're going to be entertaining Paris Hilton out on your boat.
I think thats the way I'm leaning. Seems like the simplest, most practcal way to do it.

Ms. Hilton dosnt really do it for me though, lol. I'm more of a Miranda Lambert kinda guy!!

Ranchero50 said:
I'd celebrate the tank, paint it up nice like the engine and have it hanging out the top of the decking like a monument to the coolness that it is.

Jamie

+1

Latest posts