Question on replacement bow eye...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MRichardson

Reaction score
Hi guys, this site is really something else. Lotta good ideas here, so I thought I'd start my venture with a real basic question...

I am going to restore an old '68-ish Orlando Clipper semi-v that I haven't laid eyes on in 20 years. Step one is to go up and get it from behind my uncle's house. First issue I've run across is that the original "bow eye" is corroded through - it wasn't a standard bow eye like I see on most boats, but a bent/molded aluminum sheet riveted to the boat over the seam. Thus it was somewhat thin metal. I want to replace it with a sturdy one out of stainless steel, but was wondering what kind of impact this would galvanic corrosion or the like? Any other considerations other than to be sure it's in an appropriate load-bearing position?

Getting this solved would put it on the trailer and cruising to my garage, where the real work can begin.

Thanks,

Matt

Its perfectly fine. We actually reccomend all stainless fasteners on this site. I just put a new SS bow eye on mine.

BTW, welcome to TinBoats!!!

Awesome, thanks - I should get a project thread going soon, as soon as I get the boat, trailer, and myself all in one place.

Latest posts