Tarp or Boat Cover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_dork

Reaction score
I've been searching around and haven't quite found an answer to this. I've seen the cheap boat cover suports thread https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17661 and think I'm going to go this route for cover supports. My question is can I just get a tarp from Harbor Freight or Northern Tool for under $25 or do I need to get a more expensive boat cover? They seem to be $65+. I just don't know what the difference is in waterproof and general protection properties, etc.

Also, anyone have any links to bimini tops for a 1232 with a 48" beam? All the ones I've seen are too wide. Not sure about it, just looking at options for the wife. Maybe a beack umbrella will work.

My first boat, I bought a tarp. It worked well when stored. However.....it was not towable so everything was exposed when in route to or from water.

My current boat has a custom cover. LOVE IT! Not only does it tow well, but it keeps everything dry all the time. Stored or on the move. I can also travel with all my stuff already on the boat and NOT worry about anything blowing out.

My vote, if the funds are there....buy a cover that you can use when towing the boat!

If your boat is exposed to the sun when parked buy a tarp, the hot southern will burn them up in 2 or 3 years... or you could cover your cover with a tarp to get longer life out of it.

I use the gray or blue tarps, the gray 10 mil. last longer than the blue 5 mil.

I trailered my boat from Alabama to North Bay Ontario Canada and back covered with a blue 5 mil. tarp. you have to get creative with a dozen or more bungee cords but it can be done.

Boat covers are nice, but I just can't stand to see all that money get burnt up by the sun.

Went thru the same thing. I have a G3 center console. I ended up with a heavy duty silver tarp from harbor freight. I have two heavy duty poly saw horses from the work shop. One in the bow, the second in the stern. The tarp drapes over the center console and then over the saw horses. Works like a charm from the HOT HOT FL sun. I always cover the boat after each trip. Takes maybe 10 minutes if that. Cost me $20 for the tarp or so. Custom covers are nice but COSTLY and this does the trick for me.

Considering we have a heat index of 105 today in sunny dry Houston, I'm pretty sure that my boat will turn into a puddle of tin in the back yard before we get any relief anyway, so I guess that the tarp choice probably doesn't matter :D I probably won't drive with it covered either, so I don't need it stay on under high winds so much. Just want to keep the rain and leaves out.

I think I'm going to go with the 10 mil tarp. Thanks for all the responses.

If you go the tarp route, remember that they are not breathable so if you wrap it up tight and the boat is wet, it will stay wet and start to mold. Boat covers are breathable and will let air in to circulate and dry up the boat.

I use plastic tarps over hard frames but then I don't tow with a cover on. I replace the tarps each year due to sun damage but at $25 a pop, even this is cheap enough for me. :roll:

Latest posts