Transom Saver Options

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_dork

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a transom mount. I have a 6 HP Johnson on a 12' Alumacraft. The transom hangs off the back of the trailer a little so I'm thinking that most transom mounts won't work because of the angle required to hit the trailer with the lower part of the mount. Am I missing something or is there another option? I don't want to leave the motor down since I generally have speed bumps along my route to the water. I did use the tilt on the motor and bungeed it down this weekend and it kept it from bouncing, but I really think I need to transom saver to help reduce the torque on the transom. Any thoughts?

See the picture for reference:
photo.JPG

you can use a transom saver but you will have to tilt your motor down about half way instead of all the way up. Just make sure that your motor wont hit the ground while driving.

Among my fleet of boats I have a 1951 star craft 14 foot with a 15hp mercury 2 stroke. With the same trouble you have. The site that nomowork suggested is a good template. If you can weld or know someone that can you can make your own. Save the $64 plus shipping and do it yourself. I welded a strait rod out past the trailer then welded the angle up to the motor.
You need a transom saver for sure. The bouncing not only will crack the boat itself but the motor as well. Driving with the motor all the way down will end up in a broken or shaved off skeg.

Until you figure it out use a ratchet strap to snug it up when towing.

I use a transom saver i purchased from Walmart. It came with 2 bars. One slides inside of the other so it's adjustable. I took the adjustable portion of it off. I drilled a hole at the end and bolted up the ''U" piece to the end of the transom mount. Works perfect!

Attachments

• IMG_0176.JPG
    IMG_0176.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 2,264
T-MAN said:
you can use a transom saver but you will have to tilt your motor down about half way instead of all the way up. Just make sure that your motor wont hit the ground while driving.

I actually did some measuring this morning and found that if I just lower the motor down as suggested, then I can just use a straight transom saver and it will rest on the trailer frame and the motor properly. I guess that should have been the first thing I tried.

I stopped by Wal Mart last night and picked up the Attwood Transom Saver model SP-400-RB for $30 with tax. Cheaper than online prices. It came with a bracket to mount it to the trailer frame of a head to hook to a roller. I don't have a roller on the back of the trailer so I mounted the bracket. It worked just fine. I was able to get enough angle out of it to get the motor high enough so it won't drag. It's adjustable from 23"-35".

IMG_1341.JPG
IMG_1342.JPG

Freedomfightr said:
yeah i payed $30 as well. Lol so thats what that bracket was for.....

They sure didn't have useful instructions. Just 2 very small pictures of what it could look like.

I had an electrician friend of mine bend some conduit for me and another friend do some welding and then I finalized it all into a homemade transom saver. Works great and I made it adjustable.

Attachments

• Pics After Trailer Mod 003.jpg
    Pics After Trailer Mod 003.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,083
  • Pics After Trailer Mod 002.jpg
    Pics After Trailer Mod 002.jpg
  • Pics After Trailer Mod 001.jpg
    Pics After Trailer Mod 001.jpg

Latest posts