sound dampening Aluminum floor

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I recently bought a Weldbilt 1548V, new, with the aluminum diamond plate floor. I love this boat but the only thing I'm unhappy about are the notches around the ribs not being clean cut nor even. The floor is riveted in so I was gonna mark the areas that need attention before I drill em out. While its off I was thinking to put adhesive weatherstripping where the floor and ribs touch to maybe help dampen the floor rattle. Oooorrr...spray 3m rubberized undercoating everywhere that the floor covers (including the hull) to help dampen as well. Anyone have any input or ideas? I know an aluminum is always loud but i duck hunt so while I have the floor off at least make an attempt.

When the floor is out put some of the foam board in between the ribs

Glue it in? Against the hull between the ribs or between the floor and the ribs? Where do I find foam board and is it cheap?

vahunter said:
Where do I find foam board and is it cheap?
HD, Lowes, or a contractor/lumber yard. it is pretty cheap, but depends on the thickness you buy. iirc, 4'x8'x1" board was like $16 last time i looked.

Foam weatherstrip on the ribs. Just the cheap stuff from Lowes with the adhesive backing for door jams will act as an anti-rattle kit. You could also lay a bead of construction adhesive but it might be a real pain when you go to remove the floor next time.

Jamie

drilled out the rivets and found that there was already some 2" floatation foam under the floor...so i guess ill just stick with the foam tape idea to reduce the rattling of the floor and pop it back in. Thanks,

Buddy

consider the foam pipe insulation,comes in 3-4' sleeves with a slit in it, just cut to fit on the ribs where they meet the flooring, and then put the flooring back in.

I'm a little late to the party but I'm with Jamie on using the foam weatherstriping. I used it on my 1436 and it definitely works. I will be using it on the ribs of my 1648 as well.

Latest posts