Hauling in a Pickup

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Z-Man

Reaction score
I just bought a Tracker 1436 and I'll have to haul it in my pickup until next year when I can convince my wife that I need a trailer and a gas motor. Most of the time I'll be launching it by myself and I do have an extend-a-truck for my pickup.

Does anyone have a suggestion on loading it and launching it?

When I had my canoe, it was pretty easy to launch it by myself, since it was lighter and pretty narrow. The 1436 is about 60lbs heavier and wider as well.

Thanks!

Maybe you can build soemthing like Shineerman 77 did?

https://tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1729

Or buy one, something like this? https://www.coolstuffcheap.com/boat---canoe-carrier.html

I may have to try what Shineerman 77 did and make a few modifications. I saw some wider wheels at tractor supply last week.

Thanks.

I've got a 1236 Jon that I use for the rivers and have used for the lake, I can unload it fairly easy by myself...loading it is kinda tricky, but I can manage. I just always be sure to unload everything out of the boat before I unload/load it...those TM batteries aren't light! lol I'm sure a 1436 is gonna be a little heavier than mine, but like Jim reccomended, If you could build some kind of cart like that...it could simplify things as far as moving it around after you've slid it out of the truck, and even loading it back into the truck...you could put it on the front end and get the rear of your boat up onto your tailgate(this is the part I have the most problem with), then just pick up the front and slide it on in. Let me know what you come up with, I may have to build me something for mine too. Good Luck!

I ended up making a dollie that is similar to Shinerman's. It works pretty nicely, at least in my backyard. I figure that if I can haul a boat around my muddy yard, it should work at the dock.

Z-Man said:
I ended up making a dollie that is similar to Shinerman's. It works pretty nicely, at least in my backyard. I figure that if I can haul a boat around my muddy yard, it should work at the dock.

Sweet! Take some pics of it if you want. It would be cool to see.

Here are some pics. Since I did not have any extra lawn mower wheels like shinerman, I had to stop at Tractor Supply for some wheels, 4 eye hooks and an axle. It ran me $35.00. I had the extra wood from a few projects.

I've used it twice at different lakes and it worked pretty well. I did have to wear my rubber hunting boots, because I rolled the entire thing into the lake before I took off the tie downs or bungie cords. Oh, you have to use ratchet tie downs or it slips off. Once I got close to the water, I switched the tie downs for some pretty tight bungie cords.

This design works best when attaching it to the stern. If you try to tie it to the bow, you have to lift it pretty high or it drags on the ground.

I was going to use wheel barrow wheels, but I did not want to deal with flat tires.

I think I could make a better one, but Father's Day is only a few months away. Maybe, I can convince the Mrs. into getting a trailer sooner-than-later. I saw one on Craig's List for about $175, but they never called me back.

Attachments

• 100_2643.JPG
    100_2643.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 972
  • 100_2644.JPG
    100_2644.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 969
  • 100_2650.JPG
    100_2650.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 972
  • 100_2651.JPG
    100_2651.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 974
I think bycicle wheels would work. If you had an old Mountain Bike with the quick release hubs, you could take it apart.

I've been thinking about redesigning mine, but it would have to wait a week or so. If I attach a piece of wood to cover the wheels, it would mount to the bow really good. I'd rather attach it to the bow.

I am not sure if I can explain it well. If I take the 4x4 that attaches to the axle and flip it vertically. It would make the frame taller and the frame would cover the wheels. I would then have to ad a triangular pice to stabilize the 4x4 axle.

It might be just be easier to cut up some more wood. I could use the scraps for making some targets for shooting.

Once I am done, I have to trim the ends of the eye bolts. They are scratching my seats up when I thow it in the truck. It is just wide enough to sit in the boat while hauling. Anywider and it would not work.

Latest posts