Priming and Painting Best Practices?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super_dork

Reaction score
I've been trying to look around the site to get the best information, but I'd like some summarized clarification.

I'm thinking about painting my boat, but want to make sure I do it right. I did one several years ago but the paint ended up being powdery after a few seasons of being in the sun.

The boat is an '02 Alumacraft (see signature for project) with the factory paint in pretty good shape. There are several bare aluminum spots, mainly on the gunwales. I've seen lots of mention of Rustoleum self-etching primer. It seems like all bare spots must be primed, but factory paint doesn't. Is that right? Either way, I plan to prime, just don't know if I have to go to bare metal of if I can lightly sand, then prime then paint.

I'd like to just use rattle cans to spray since I don't have a sprayer. Which brand/type of paint would be best and do I need to topcoat it or wax it? Is it better to brush/roll then spray? If so, what paint is best in that case?

Not by any means an expert on the subject, but have painted a few boats and in the process of another. I sanded (100 grit) the entire boat, not down to bare metal though. All bare aluminum spots were primed with Rustoleums Aluminum Primer (cans). The existing paint that survived the sanding just got painted over. As far as spraying, if you have a compressor and a sprayer, I'd go that route. I'd stay away from spray painting the entire boat with cans, it'll cost more than you think :wink: I use a 4" brush and go at it, it takes a bit of time and there are some brush marks if you look closely, but I've never had a problem with the paint.

Ictalurus said:
Not by any means an expert on the subject, but have painted a few boats and in the process of another. I sanded (100 grit) the entire boat, not down to bare metal though. All bare aluminum spots were primed with Rustoleums Aluminum Primer (cans). The existing paint that survived the sanding just got painted over. As far as spraying, if you have a compressor and a sprayer, I'd go that route. I'd stay away from spray painting the entire boat with cans, it'll cost more than you think :wink: I use a 4" brush and go at it, it takes a bit of time and there are some brush marks if you look closely, but I've never had a problem with the paint.

When you have brushed it on, what kind of paint have you used? Do you have to top coat or clear coat it?

On two of the boats, I picked up some Valspar exterior oil based paint from Lowe's. On my current build, I'm using an oil based paint from Sherwin Williams. I explained to the salesman at SW what I was doing and he hooked me up with an industrial enamel/epoxy that has a marine application, it was only $6 more a gallon and sounded good, although so far it looks the same as the other paint. I have not used a clear coat, I manage to scrape a little paint off here and there on trees, docks, etc.. and just use the left over paint to touch up a few spots over the winter. I can take a picture of the paint can tonight if you would like to see it.

Ictalurus said:
On two of the boats, I picked up some Valspar exterior oil based paint from Lowe's. On my current build, I'm using an oil based paint from Sherwin Williams. I explained to the salesman at SW what I was doing and he hooked me up with an industrial enamel/epoxy that has a marine application, it was only $6 more a gallon and sounded good, although so far it looks the same as the other paint. I have not used a clear coat, I manage to scrape a little paint off here and there on trees, docks, etc.. and just use the left over paint to touch up a few spots over the winter. I can take a picture of the paint can tonight if you would like to see it.

Cool, I've got a SW just down the street from me. They tend to have good expertise there. I'll see what they can do for me. Thanks for the info!