Free Foam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojo^

Reaction score
Northern Tool has 12"x18"x12" solid blocks of Styrofoam free for the asking. They are used in packing the trailers and equipment for shipment. The Northern Tool I visited today had approx. 40-50 blocks of the stuff inside the fence near the receiving dock. Just drive around back and if you see some, ask the manager and they'll let you have all you want. They are happy to get rid of it. I imagine that Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight and other stores may use similar material. These blocks are the perfect size to fit under a seat, bow or in flotation cells and you can't beat the price.

Pretty sure that is the open cell foam that will soak in water and hold it! Its a big no-go for me!

Jeff

Styrofoam is an extruded polystyrene made by Dow Chemical, is blue and is normally in sheets used for insulation. The blocks in question are probably Expanded Polystyrene, molded by many companies, is normally white and is closed cell, except where is has been cut. It is used for dock flotation, as well as packaging and insulation. It doesn't absorb water and should work well.

A pic of the foam in question would be nice, I'm sayin' it's the old "beaded white styrofoam" that absorbs water commonly used in packing and packaging to protect electronics.