Great transom repair material

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surenuff

Reaction score
Hey guys, thought I would share something with you. A couple of years ago I had to tear out the rotted transom on my jon boat. I was wanting something that would last forever, be durable and strong, etcc... Something I did not have to glass or seal in any way. I had a sheet of 1/2" cutting board material(I do a lot of work in commercial kitchens) and decided to use it. My transom was 1 1/2" thick, so I made a template of the old wood and cut three pieces out of a 4X8 sheet of this cutting board material. Then I drilled a couple holes through the three sections and mounted it in the boat. Once in place I drilled out all of the rest of the exsisting transom bolt holes through the new material and sucked the new stainless bolts up tight. This sandwhiched the sections together really well. The I used a hole saw to cut round holes in the first section for my motor mounts to recess into when it is tightened up.(no chance of it getting popped off on a log anymore) I tell you guys, I was impressed with how strudy this made my transom. This material is sturdy by itself with one sheet, but put three of them together sucked up to the transom, and it is a brick house. I will post a couple pictures soon of the way it turned out. I was impressed with myself for thinking about it, you guys may have already thought about it or have way better ideas already. Anyway, there it is.

Are you referring to HDPE? I do a little woodworking and I use HDPE quite frequintly for making jigs and such in the shop. My experience with it is that it is very flexable. Granted, I typically use it in thicknesses of 1/2" or less but I would still think it would flex at 1 1/2". Guess my theories are worng though, lol. Someone recently posted a question asking if it was okay to use a similar material and we all said no. Glad to see someone give it a whirl and post first hand experience!!

I don't know if it is the HDPE or not. I bought it from a plastics vendor here that we get out cutting board material from. When I cut the three pieces and sandwiched them togther along with the aluminum of the transom, I promise it is bullet proof.

Latest posts